2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Seedlings are up

Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8951

Everyone as far south as Tennessee better watch where your stepping around your seng beds. I found quite a few of these up today, I just hope we aren't getting set up for another killing frost like a few years back. It would be disastrous on these seedlings, especially without any leaf cover in the trees.

Hillhopper
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8954

Hillhopper

That is Awesome!!!

Emergence in March is really early. The earliest my plants have come up is the third week of April. But most of the time it's the second week of May. My older plants usually pop up before the seedlings do.

We still have about 8\" of snow on the ground here in Maine. So I expect another 6-8 weeks before mine start emerging.

Thanks for sharing.

classicfur

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8955

That's a beautiful sight. I'm in Indiana, and I wouldn't even think about looking this early in the year, but with the warmer than normal weather we've had, perhaps I should start checking things out soon.

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8957

Hey Hillhopper,

Dang ! You beat me to seeing the first seedlings up.

But now I have not checked my beds in several weeks now. I have been busy with gardening and other stuff and actually had crank up the old Cub-Cadet and mow my yard this week for the first time of the year.

Was not expecting any to be up until Mid April.

I will sure have to get out there today and check some of my beds and see if I can spot any.

I think I am south of you - I am south of Nashville so if you have seedlings up already probably a good chance that I do to.

TNhunter

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8959

Well I could not wait... soon as the sun was peaking up I went out and checked several of my beds and did find a few up already.

I checked probably 10-12 beds and found 1 plant up in 5 of the beds. Did not find any beds that had more than one seedling showing up yet.

I also checked my seed producing bed and none of those older big roots have put up any sign of a top yet and I checked a couple spots where I know there are some decent 3 prong wild plants and smaller ones too and none of those are showing yet.

Here is a few pics of the seedlings I did find up early.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8960

Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8961

Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8962

Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8963

Looks like something has already munched on this one a bit. :-(

Oh well - good to see some up but as Hillhopper said - not good for these early birds if we do get a frost.

Not sure how frost tollerant 3 leafers are.

I have one plant up in a bed that is not 30 yards from my back steps so I will be able to easily check on it, if it does frost.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #8965

Thats great guys, is this about the normal time that far south? Ours usually come up about the middle of April here in Missouri.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 581 guests and no members online

Login