2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: More planting this weekend....

More planting this weekend.... 13 years 2 months ago #8917

Tonight, after work, I'm headed back to the mountains to do more ground prep for the following weekend's planting.

I've been told that I'm getting some things in a bit late for this year... however had significant family emergencies that delayed my fall plans from last fall.

Anyway, this weekend's ground prep, will be the last prep for planting until much later this year.

I also took about 1/4 of a pound and planted it in the woodline behind my house. These seeds were starting to tail out bigtime, and needed to get into the ground sson!

It's not perfect... woods in the treeline aren't old-time woods, just at the field edge, it's west facing, just a touch of slope for drainage. However lots of leaf litter, and I added lime and gypsum, and tilled the ground under the litter. It will get much hotter here at home than in the mountains... maybe it will do OK, as the shade factor should be pretty close to what's needed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:More planting this weekend.... 13 years 1 month ago #8975

Got that area prepped for this next weekend's planting. It was a lot of work, however am glad I went.

We are headed back in friday night to get the new seeds and roots into this!

Re:More planting this weekend.... 13 years 1 month ago #9071

we got our last planting done yesterday for this spring. Put another pound of seeds, and 300 rootlets in. I think we have a 1/2 acre in the ground now.

I was very pleased with the rootlets from Hardings... count per bag of rootlets was about 110, for a 100 rootlets bag, and all seemed very healthy. We bought 3 year old rootlets thinking that they would be a bit more hearty than younger rootlets.

The seed was very nice as well, and it's the seed that I am currently \"in vitro\" in my seed test #2. Many were tailed-out already, and the beds are looking pretty good.

The photo belies the 20 degree slope that we are planting on. it's steep, not as bad as it could be... however since we are clearing rohodendron to plant the ground, we are installing what I'm calling \"water brakes\" to controll possible erosion. those are the line of logs you see . Perhaps these are not needed, we'll see. this photos is of a section that is a bit flatter, and many of the other beds are below this one, which is at the top of \"patch one.\"
Attachments:

Re:More planting this weekend.... 13 years 1 month ago #9073

Whitjr

Sounds like youve done alot of work clearing brush.

In the past I ordered rootlets from Harding and received 12% more than what I ordered. They are generous.

classicfur

Re:More planting this weekend.... 13 years 1 month ago #9076

whitjr,
Nice job. Looks like you are working hard and I am sure your efforts will be rewarded nicely in the years to come.

Classicfur & Whitjr,
I am glad to hear the good news about receiving the generous amount of seed and roots when ordering from Larry.

I am a bit concerned about the last amount of seed that I ordered from a seed supplier up North. I bought 10 lbs and planted them between Jan and March. Some were \"Tailing\" out that I planted last week when I planted the final 4 oz so I know some are viable. The problem is this. I planted over 30 seeds indoors from the seeds I bought from the supplier up North and not one of them germinated and produced a plant top. So either I didn't water sufficiently or the seed is of poor quality at best. I guess I will know soon enough if the ginseng beds do not produce well. I know the first 10 lbs I got in between Oct and December will do well. These first 10 lbs planted were a mix of seeds from Hardings, Hardwood Ginseng Co and a local grower in Ohio. But the second 10 lbs from the Seed supplier up North planted between Jan and March could be a problem.
Latt

Re:More planting this weekend.... 13 years 1 month ago #9078

Latt,

Sure hope that 10 pounds does good, thats a lot of money and work possibly wasted.
If they are bad seeds, will you replant that area or move on?

Lenno

Re:More planting this weekend.... 13 years 1 month ago #9081

Lenno,
That's a good question. I think I would plant in a new area in the same woods. If they do not come up it is due to the seeds. If they do not come up it bad seed. The woods I planted in has proven to be a good woods and I have many successful ginseng beds in there. The seeds were cracked and grinning when I received them. I also float tested them and very little floated. I cracked open over 20 seeds when I got them in Jan and the inside was nice and white and firm. So I am hoping my unsuccessful indoor seed planting is due to a lack of water or something. But I thought I watered enough so who knows. I guess I will know shortly.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:More planting this weekend.... 13 years 1 month ago #9105

Seed germination , I would have to agree, is the cause of poor soil germination. If I had concerns about the quality of the seed I received, I would not hesitate to contact the seller.

I wish that we didn't have so much brush to clear before planting... howqever the other conditions are lining up to be a great area to plant. We'll just have to see what the \"reality test\" brings, eh?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 281 guests and no members online

Login