2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8833

Latt

Nice two prong. It's amazing how a there can be so many variations in plants the same age.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8855

Today's pic below. Still growing a bit.
Latt
Attachments:

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8856

This pic below shows some of the plants growing in the makeshift planter taken today.
Latt
Attachments:

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8857

Wow that pic is blurry.
Latt

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8884

Well 13 out of 15 plants grew from the 15 roots that I transplanted in my makeshift indoors planter. Secondly, for no apparent reason one of the 13 plants started to droop yesterday. It appeared to be healthy until that point. Today it is laying sideways on top of the leaf litter and is sort of limp. I pulled the root to see what had happened and the root was not mushy like I had suspected it would be. It appears healthy. The stem is still in tact and is not rotting. But the plant is dying.

I dug the other two roots that did not come up to see why. They were mushy. So I have either over watered them or they just died. I watered the container all the same.

I try to make sure not to over water and I mist the plants in the morning to replicate what mother does for them in the wild outdoors.

The other 12 plants are doing great for now. It will be interesting to see if any of the remaining 12 plants survive indoors over the upcoming months.

Here is a pic from a couple of minutes ago .
Latt
Attachments:

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8885

Mother Nature that is. I should proof read better.
Latt

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8886

Latt,

I'm thinking that because the roots are growing in a plastic tub, that the moisture does not drain away as well as if they were planted outside in the ground. Roots like to be moist but cannot handle being wet for long periods of time. Another thought is they don't get enough air movement to dry things out being indoors.

Just some thoughts, since I've never grown roots indoors.

I do injoy reading your adventures of Indoor Ginseng Growing.

Thanks for sharing!

classicfur

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8887

Classicfur,
I agree on the plastic tub thought. It probably would have been better to line the bottom of the entire tub with 2 inches of rock or a gravel mix for drainage. Then put the dirt on top of that. Or maybe plant it in a wooden box or planter.

Like I had stated in an earlier post there is no practicality in growing ginseng indoors. It is just a novelty. It is enjoyable thou to watch them grow and to see them. I am glad you enjoy the post and pics.
I know many have ginseng growing around their house for the same reason. Just to be able to go outside and see ginseng when you want.

I know I am ready for morel mushroom hunting soon and this years ginseng season. I look forward to seeing everyone's ginseng pics.

Classicfur, you have quite a winter up in your area. I saw your ice storm pics too and you guys got hit pretty hard. I know we all are ready for spring for sure.

TNhunter, I was in Nashville on Friday March 4th and Saturday the 5th. I drove down Friday night through one heck of a downpour for at least half the trip. Rt 65 was like a river verses a highway. I was driving slow like a little old man. My mustang was Hydroplaning like never before.

I enjoyed the temps down there for sure. It was in the 60's that day. Then I drove in the rain all the way back to Columbus Ohio on Saturday the 5th.

Our Sugar Maples have some tiny unopened red buds, but nothing like your trees from the pics you posted and being in Nashville that weekend.

Anyone that has never been to Nashville TN you have to visit there at least once. It is a great place to visit. NASHVEGAS!

Latt

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8888

Latt,

I Think your idea of gravel on the bottom would work good for better drainage. Also you might want to let the soil dry out more between waterings.

I do have some roots growing in the woods just 30' away from my house. And I get a lot of pleasure watching them through out the season. I usually look at them one or two times a day. But it will be another 8-10 weeks until they come up again.

It has been a hard Winter in Main.

Yes, I am sooo ready for spring!

classicfur

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8920

Latt- are planning to transplant these to an outdoor location?

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 72 guests and no members online

Login