2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Game cameras to watch over your plant beds

Game cameras to watch over your plant beds 13 years 5 months ago #7869

So I got to thinkin about poachers, and how to catch them. I know there are a lot of members out there that have wild simulated \"honey holes\" and have been poached in the past. I can't imagine growing a plot for 7 years only to walk out to a dug up field on August 15.

I checked the NC state regulations, and it turns out that stealing ginseng off of someone's land is a felony here. I'm curious as to what the punishment is in TN,KT,VA...etc?

I thought game cameras would be a great idea, but you have the issue of memory cards. It would be all too easy for a thief to dig out your field and then yank the memory card out of the camera and then....he's got your seng that you've patiently waited on for 7 years, along with a $20 memory card + a slap in the face! Well today I was just checking out some new cameras, and wouldn't you know it they have wireless cameras now that send the pictures directly to an online album automatically. So I say to the poachers, bring it on. Take my seng, take my camera, and I'll take you down to the courthouse when the law sees you on my computer stealing my seng.

Although these new game spy cameras are $200 for a halfway decent one, along with a monthly modem plan; if you have a sizeable crop it would be a wise investment. I just thought I would share my find with you guys and I'd love to hear your input on the idea.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Game cameras to watch over your plant beds 13 years 5 months ago #7870

Hunz,
That's an awesome idea. I have thought about it for sure. Once my ginseng planting beds get a bit older I might invest in something like what you have described. $200 bucks to hopefully save thousands of dollars makes sense to me. Thanks for the info!!
Latt

Re:Game cameras to watch over your plant beds 13 years 5 months ago #7934

I got a refurb Moultrie unit to see if I could figure out what had snipped off a couple of sprouts.

Couple of things I noticed - it had limited movement sensitivity, especially in the dense forest. Maybe 30-50 feet, some times less. But, with the cell option, at least you have a chance of making a record of activity. They can outsmart that if they know it's there, but from what I've seen, most criminals aren't particularly smart.

I'm looking closely at a wi-fi enabled game camera, made by PixController. Since I live near the crop, that could give me realtime notification when anything is detected. With directional antenna, you can get .5 to 1 mile range. It still generates an email with the photo through wi-fi, so notification goes to my iphone, for when I'm not home. Pretty slick.

Re:Game cameras to watch over your plant beds 13 years 3 months ago #8247

I tried the game cameras but like was said above, they are unreliable. If you can find a trustworthy security company, hire them to set your system. Benefits are correct product application, maximum coverage, tech support, and peace of mind. Negatives are exposing outsiders to your ginseng, and cost.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds

Who's Online

We have 547 guests and no members online

Login