2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turkeys

Turkeys 13 years 5 months ago #7078

I went out to plant my ginseng seed and found the turkeys had been scratching right around where I wanted to plant. I had cut the firewood out of that area over the last couple of months, so I planted then put brush over the seed beds. I'll have to move that in the spring someone suggested useing chicken wire. I just wondered what some of you do to keep the turkeys out?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Turkeys 13 years 5 months ago #7079

Phil

I have turkeys moving through my beds a few times during the growing season. They scratch around a little occasionally in the beds but not often, or sometimes next to the beds. But they have never done any real damage to my plants. The woods around here are huge and the turkeys have plenty of other places to investigate. And in the winter we usually have deep snow covering the beds from late Nov. through early April to protect the bed from turkeys. And most of Nov. the ground is frozen solid.

I do know, if they Continue to scratch the soil in your beds on a regular basis, they will cause damage and you will need to do something. I think putting chicken wire up just tells everyone that your growing something. Which depending on where your beds are, may not be a good idea. although if it's in an area where others are not going to see it, it would probably be your best bet.

Maybe someone else here has a more sure solution.

Good luck.

classicfur

Re:Turkeys 13 years 5 months ago #7106

Thanks classicfur
We had a real good crop of cherries this year the bear droppings are full of the pits. I think thats what the turkeys are after. Didn't see to many beech nuts but they will draw them in some years. Glad to here you havn't had to much trouble with them. I'll hope I have the same luck,but keep my eyes open. And pray for snow.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 237 guests and no members online

Login