2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Root with Two Buds

Root with Two Buds 13 years 5 months ago #6430

I started replanting seeds in some Wild Simulated beds this week that had problems with Damping Off disease.

See my post: Planting in soil with Rhizoctonia problem.

Any way, While I was breaking up the surface of the soil with my hand garden cultivator at one end of the beds that has not had any roots showing except the first season after planting(3 yrs ago). I unearthed a small root that first appeared to be a Three legged 1 year old root. This root looked like a 1 legged root joined to a 2 legged root. They were connected to each other close to the top of the root. And they both have their own buds for next years growth. It is definately one root. Also they must have been dormant the past two years because there were no plants growing in that spot of the garden.

I wished I had my camera, and without thinking, I put it back in the ground and it's now covered with leaves. I should have marked where it was so I could go back and take a picture. Oh well!

Question for you guys. Can two seperate roots become joined together or can a seed produce twins(two roots joined together from one seed)?

I know in the past I have seen two seeds that are connected to each other. And perhaps this is how you end up with a root that has two tops.

Any Thoughts about roots with two or more tops?

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Root with Two Buds 13 years 5 months ago #6433

Classicfur,

Not sure exactly what causes multiple tops.

Could be that the root neck got damaged somehow or could just be one of those freak things that happens at times - sort of like birth defects on humans or other critters.

I found a double top root the other day - you can see it in my youtube vid below. It is the root in the upper right side of the screen. It had double 3 prong tops and the root was sort of a trio of roots and the root neck just sort of arched over from one to the other and the two tops (bud spurs) were about 1' apart.

I don't think that one was a case where two seeds or roots somehow merged - but not sure about that.

www.youtube.com/user/YTTNhunter#p/u/3/WzDhcZ4X6lE

I planted it in my seed producing bed - guess I will get double see production from that one planting :-)

TNhunter

Re:Root with Two Buds 13 years 5 months ago #6441

I think it to be a trait passed through genetics. Years ago I dug a plant with double tops, this year I dug 2 more within 50 yards of where the first one was found ten years ago. I replanted these to check on 'em later. I might be able to start my own strand of double top 'sang B)

Re:Root with Two Buds 13 years 5 months ago #6452

WildCrafter

You may be right. I've been reading how a Genseng seed has an Embryo. And I suppose it's possible for a seed to have two emryos which would cause the root to have two tops.

TNhunter

I looked at yor video. Your root looks alot like the one I found, but mine is only about 2\" long and the largest trunk was a little bigger around tha a pencil.

Thanks, classicfur

Re:Root with Two Buds 13 years 5 months ago #6456

would you call that a double-header?

Re:Root with Two Buds 13 years 5 months ago #7097

I also found a double topper this year. The neck had a shoot that went of to the side and had another root and top form from that . It in itself had grown for at least ten years. I was bringin em back to put into my seed bed as well so i put it in my sack and headed off the hill, the thing is that half way down I fell and busted my hind end and i reckon I landed on my root! \"no pun intended:S \"...anyhow it broke it so I planted em both and I guess I got a 2 for 1 special at the least

Re:Root with Two Buds 13 years 5 months ago #7101

hillhopper

You did'nt know it, but those roots cushioned your ... I mean saved your life!

classicfur

Re:Root with Two Buds 13 years 5 months ago #7102

You may be right but them breaking apart sure hurt my feelings lol

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 371 guests and no members online

Login