2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seeds gone bad?

Seeds gone bad? 13 years 8 months ago #4345

Was hopin' ya'll might provide some insight...
I've got a gallon sized zip-loc bag about half full of seeds from last season. When I first got 'em, there was a couple of chunks of moist moss in the bag with the seeds. When I was pokin' around my shed the other week I noticed a strong, musty odor, ends up being the bag of seeds. Some of them look good-decent, some of the others are covered with a film of light gray dust or mildew or something. I thought I remember reading something about this in one of Scott Person's books, something about soaking the seeds in a bucket of cold water, bad seeds sink, good ones float?
I've been doing so much reading about gardening and sangin' the past couple years, I can't really be sure. Can anyone recall reading anything like that before? (I lent my copy of Person's book to a buddy so I can't look it up)
Really I just wanted to know if the seeds are still viable. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seeds gone bad? 13 years 8 months ago #4348

Didn't you keep them in the refrigerator? just wondering? by the way I read you're post it sounded like you left them out.
I know you can float them in water. or more correctly the ones that float are bad. the only other way is to plant them and see what happens.

Re:Seeds gone bad? 13 years 8 months ago #4377

If they have been sitting out in a shed drying out, they are probably all bad. Float test them and throw out the floaters. Plant whatever remains and who knows, maybe some of them are still viable.

The white/gray stuff you are talking about is probably mold. Keep them away from any good seed you have!

(sorry for the double post. I can edit, but I can't seem to delete!)

Re:Seeds gone bad? 13 years 8 months ago #4378

If they have been sitting out in a shed drying out, they are probably all bad. Float test them and throw out the floaters. Plant whatever remains and who knows, maybe some of them are still viable.

The white/gray stuff you are talking about is probably mold. Keep them away from any good seed you have!

Re:Seeds gone bad? 13 years 8 months ago #4385

I think the mixture is 10 to 1 of bleach and water in Scotts book.
Before any float test, try to see if any have stratified. Use your trusty pocket knife and split 10 seeds in half along the grove, open them up and look at the embryo. The little plant needs to be 1\16 of an inch tall surrounded by clean white bean.
Spit nine more seeds in half and count the bad seeds, good over __\10 x 10 gives you the percent of good seed.
Scott says anything under 90 percent is garbage. Now try float em if any good. I figure none will be worth floatin. Any good ones should have spouted in the spring. Test the floated ones again cause some times the old mush filled seeds will sink.
It will be interesting to see what happened.

why didn't you bury them, it's easy and only takes a few minutes?

Re:Seeds gone bad? 13 years 7 months ago #5463

Yeah they were outside in my shed, should've buried 'em... wanted to get them in the ground really but my ol' lady and I just bought our first place 'round that time last year.
Thanks for all the advice folks, gonna float 'em and then plant the good un's to try and see what I can get out of 'em. Thanks all.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 322 guests and no members online

Login