2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter)

Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter) 6 years 11 months ago #39847

I took a day off yesterday and went Turkey hunting and morel hunting... and came home empty handed :-(

But I did find a nice surprise in my wild sim plantings... a nice little 4 Pronger.

See link below for Pic.

goo.gl/photos/DqakhzmwRRhNKQS5A

It has not been up too long, still has some filling out to do but it sure was a nice thing to find.

This one is a 5 or 6 year old plant.

I found a lot of nice 3 prongs to and a bunch that were 2 prongs last year that turned in to 3 prongs this year. They are making progress for sure.

TNHunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter) 6 years 11 months ago #39848

The bunch in the link below are from a 7 year old wild sim planting bed.

goo.gl/photos/7BKqo2QmDsQhnQkm8

Re:Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter) 6 years 11 months ago #39849

One more pic of 3 sisters... they look like triplets.

goo.gl/photos/RWmNGFbdJETVBsg26

Last year I got 400+ berries off my seed producing bed, and quite a few red berries off my wild sim plants.

It looks like this year I am going to have a lot more of my wild sim plants producing berries. Looking forward to planting them all.

TNHunter

Re:Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter) 6 years 11 months ago #39850

sure are looking good TN.

Re:Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter) 6 years 11 months ago #39851

Nice looking plants. When you reseed your berries are you placing them directly in the ground or do you have a way of stratifying them first? I would like to learn the process of stratifying my own seeds but I've been buying stratified seeds for the past 4years but would like to be able to use my own.

Re:Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter) 6 years 11 months ago #39853

Jim..

So far I have not tried stratifying any... but I may give that a try at some point. In Scotts book he gives good details on how to do that.

Right now I get 400+ berries off my seed producing bed but they are not all ready at once... they come in a little at a time over a period of 5-6 weeks.

I may get a dozen or so the first few times I check them... and then later on may get 30-40 in one picking..and then they taper off towards the end. When they start getting red, I try to pick them every 3-4 days (to keep some critter from getting them).

Same is true of my wild sim patches... over a period of several weeks I will get a few hundred berries (last year), but not a BIG bunch all at once. This year it looks like I may get more off my wild sim since more are maturing and making 3 prongers and producing berries.

So right not I am happy with just planting those red berries.

Once you get to the point that you have several wild simulated plants in the 6-7 year old range If they are doing well you should be getting quite a few berries off them to plant.

I doubt I will be buying any more stratified seed. I did not buy any last year.

I do know that my red berries plantings are having a pretty high germination rate.

Heck, even the berries that I fail to pick off my seed bed plants (and they just drop on their own) those are sprouting up all under my seed bed plants.

They just fell off and managed to make it (Lots of them), so I am sure the ones i am poking in the ground and covering with a little dirt and leaves are doing fine.

If I ever get to the point where I am collecting like 500 to 1000 in a week, I might try stratifying a batch.

TNHunter

Re:Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter) 6 years 11 months ago #39889

TN I've been lurking on the forums for a couple weeks now and just got signed up today. I've enjoyed following your threads and learning from them. Your Seng looks like it's doing great!

Surprise in my Wild Sim Plantings (TNHunter) 6 years 11 months ago #39922

Thanks Ubtrapper..

Hey... I just now got to check wildgrown in a few days and wow.. looks like we got a new forum (new software, forum hosting site)... looks better.

Hope the issue with attaching pictures has been fixed.

Going to try the attachments option (with a Fish pic) from this week. I took off on Wed and did a short wade in a local creek. Caught a dozen or so and kept 3 smallies.

TNHunter
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 416 guests and no members online

Login