2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: hot temps

hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38765

I was just wondering from all you growers out here how hot is your average temp during the summer or basically right now . Starting to wonder if it is to hot to even grow ginseng in my area because man it has been hot here lately . I have grew some little plants from seeds here already but they died because of my own mistakes. Hope to do better when I try again this fall . But this past week is has been around anywhere from 90 degrees to 97 . I mean you walk outside and in full sun it is so hot you feel like you cant breathe haha . But in the shade it feels nice especially with the wind giving a little breeze but I am not sure . Just wondering how hot is around some other peoples growing places. Thanks for any info really curious.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38766

I remember you said you were from NC you wrote the following below: Based on what you said previously I would think Ginseng may grow in your area. Test plots would be best like you already did before you spend a lot of money. I would think Western NC would be better that Eastern NC. Can't remember if you said you were from one or the other.
Anyway you wrote this below:

\"I know that growing ginseng is not easy . I know for sure it's not a get rich fast thing. I know that when I do plant and they do grow only a percentage will actually make it to be mature. But I thank you for your answer. As far as conditions goes , I have plenty of tulip poplar , ferns , kohosh and not sure about sugar maple . I do not think I have many of those around here. I definitely have the slopes matter of fact most of the land I have is hilly. But the direction of sloping I have no idea how to find that out at all Lol. I already have some seeds planted but if they do not make it I'm pretty sure it is my fault and will try again.\"

Good luck.
Latt

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38767

Yea I tried maybe 300 seeds that i bought from a guy on amazon and that was the first time i ever tried and out of those 3 of them actually came up . I planted those to deep I later figured out and they could not come up and the ones that did come up were so stunted they didn't make it very long . But the seeds did come up so it kind of gives me hope for good luck when i plant more . But what i was worried about is I know ginseng likes the cooler spots and mine is not so cool . I am from eastern NC nobody around me grows ginseng , most people never heard of it except for that show on tv. And I have never heard about anyone growing it around here so there is no one i could easily ask around me . Closest place it is grown to me is Asheboro Nc far as i am aware . Was really just curious as to what temps other guys are growing in so i could compare . Thanks for the reply

Jdman

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38769

40 days of above 90 here in North Ga. I have a pretty good success rate . Have been growing here for 15 years. I am planting seeds now as my berries are ripe. IMO the drought has more of an impact than the heat.

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38770

Thanks for the replies Latt and natureflixs. Nature flix your answer was exactly what i was hoping for something to compare to from someone growing in warm temps . I do not think I would have to worry about drought here at my place though because although it has been really hot we have a big thunder storm about every other day . And it if comes down to it I would water it if i didn't rain for a while . Thanks for that though it was exactly what I was looking for . I looked online and in the book i have and could not find anything on ginseng growing in the heat.

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38784

I think more so than the high temperatures the important thing for ginseng is cool moist (not wet) soil and the right type of shade to keep the soil from drying out and keep the surface of the plants from getting too hot.

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38787

Well I had three of the seeds i planted actually grow and turn in to little plants but once they got about 2 maybe 3 inches tall they started to die off. So i know they will sprout and grow a little but i didn't know if the heat killed them or what happened but I am pretty sure it is because i planted them to deep because they didn't even start to sprout until way after they should have. haha all i know to do is try again this fall . And I think if I find me a spot in the woods that is like you described bcastle I should be fine . Does it get hot around where you are ? I know it must get warm in the summer but i mean hot ?

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38791

I am in Appalachia Ohio and we normally get a lot of days in the upper 80s and this year a couple dozen days in the 90's. My one-year plants look great. As previously mentioned, I would be most cautious of drought more than temperatures. It's gonna be cooler on the forest floor. Down there being on northeast banks is probably more important than up here. However, even up here I see areas facing south be so dry that nothing grows on the forest floor.

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38792

Man I am glad to hear these answers because for a while I was starting to think it was to hot to grow it here . This whole week has been over 93 and under 100 somewhere in that range . Been so hot I wait until about dark to be able to mow grass . But in the shade it is cooler and that is just under the one tree in my yard so it should be cooler in the actual forest floor like you said . And we get a lot of rain here usually matter fact it has rained the past two days drought is not very common around here . And i have yet to figure out or research how to find the north or south or ne se side of hills or areas of land i guess I will have to figure out sometime before fall . Thanks for the reply jimsenger66 really helpful to me . Best of luck with your plants .

Jdman

Re:hot temps 7 years 8 months ago #38796

Just got thru planting a bunch of red berries from my mature plants. I pretty much put them anywhere in the woods without regard to NSEW orientation. As long as the plants are in the shade they seem to do well at my location in North GA.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 740 guests and no members online

Login