2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Go big or go home

Re:Go big or go home 7 years 8 months ago #38790

I planted 60 lbs over 5 acrs 5ft wide beds 150 ft long and 5ft between the beds .after all I have read I think it is good spacing and not crowded..I had good germination and they seem to be doing well...I have built acess rd at the top and bottom of the rows...this year I have already built my roads and I'm going to try something a little different I am going to spray brush killer in my future beds that I'm going too plant this coming year,my thought is too give my plant next spring s leg up on the under growth,any thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Go big or go home 7 years 8 months ago #38794

Big Mac
I am no expert and I have never planted 60 lbs at one time. I do know this. I stood in front of a hill where the side on the left had not been sprayed for weeds and undergrowth. The right side of the hill side had been sprayed the prior fall prior to planting. Both left and right sides were planted with pounds upon pounds of seed equally.

Needless to say, the left side was virtually baron of any ginseng babies. The right side was a sea of thousands upon thousands of healthy ginseng babies.

So my thoughts are obvious whereas I saw it in person. I have planted up to 20 lbs in a given year wild simulated style. I have seen weeds and other woodland plants, evasive species along with underbrush take over my beds in some woods. Needless to say many like I have gone the \"No Spray\" route and that's OK. However, if you expect to have much ginseng at the end of 10 years one would be disappointed in my opinion. 10% remaining at year 10 would be doing well in my opinion with the \"No Spray\" method. It's sad to see 90% die out over the years.

Good luck,
Latt

Re:Go big or go home 7 years 8 months ago #38795

Thank you Mr latter for the info...do you know what kind of weed killer they used,I know people have said round up but there is 6 or more different kinds of round up..I bought some super brush killer by gordons,but I'm still reading up on it..any suggestions of what you or any others have used will be greatly appreciated. ..

Re:Go big or go home 7 years 8 months ago #38797

I would be guessing as to what type of roundup. There are others here on Wildgrown.com better equipped to answer that question.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:Go big or go home 6 years 11 months ago #39861

Well year two is hear and I have learned a ton my 2 year Olds are thinner than I expected but my one year Olds with the new planting method are looking really good ,but the biggest suprised is my 5000 transplants I planted ,I got about 90% too come up and looking good...I used the brush killer last year were I planted my seeds last fall and I have about 75% come up.I believe I will have a better survival rate this year with less competition with the undergrowth. I'm still going big this coming year but not as the last 2 .I have put 120 lbs of seed the last two years I'm dropping too 20 lbs and more transplants.

Re:Go big or go home 6 years 11 months ago #39862

What weed killer did you decide to go with?

Re:Go big or go home 6 years 11 months ago #39864

Gorda brush killer

Re:Go big or go home 6 years 11 months ago #39865

Thanks!

Re:Go big or go home 6 years 11 months ago #39866

Did you use this to kill off plants like mayapple jack n pulpit trilliums etc too?

Re:Go big or go home 6 years 5 months ago #40800

No I sprayed just the stuff I wanted too die

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 810 guests and no members online

Login