2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: soil ph

soil ph 8 years 6 months ago #37182

I tested one site today with a meter I'm coming up a consistent 7 or a lil below...I've read ginseng needs 5.5 to 6.5 ....a lot of calcium...now I just read a article on the net that says a ph of 7 is high calcium....comments pls on a ph of 7

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:soil ph 8 years 6 months ago #37215

Most of my woods is at or near pH of 7 and my seedlings and the wild are all looking good. I rely on the wild more than my planting as mine could still fail, but the wild has nice dark green leaves and does reproduce. I have very high calcium levels so I do see them as going hand in hand.

Re:soil ph 8 years 6 months ago #37223

Thank you very much for your info.

Re:soil ph 8 years 6 months ago #37228

The advantage of low pH is that you generally have less disease issues. The high calcium in the Beyfuss and Corbin studies showed that contrary to normal soil behavior, ginseng normally did well under maples up north and poplar in the south which caused the high calcium levels in soils with very low pH. Normal soils with low pH won't have high calcium.

Re:soil ph 8 years 6 months ago #37230

I have been planting almost exclusively by maples...my father used to find it heavy growing under butternut and basswood...not much of those left in areas I'm planting...been putting it under semi mature mixtures of ash and maple....the ash has formed a nice canopy for being about 20 foot tall...dad said he found ginseng under almost every hardwood tree with the exception of heavy oak stands.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 406 guests and no members online

Login