2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: What Disease Is This?

What Disease Is This? 8 years 9 months ago #36083

This is one of the few of the 3 year old rootlets that came up this year. There are about four plants, all not near each other, doing this. The plant is still turgid (firm) even though the bloom spike is leaning downward (it too is firm). They look like the typical fall yellowing but it is very early for that. We have had record breaking amounts of rainfall, if that helps any.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:What Disease Is This? 8 years 9 months ago #36084

Stress, you are probably right thinking about the excessive rain.

Re:What Disease Is This? 8 years 9 months ago #36095

Quite possibly may be starting to get some type of root rot... with the stress from being transplanted plus a VERY wet year it would not surprise me. However I have had transplants that look similar to that the summer after being transplanted that have come back healthy looking the following year.
They were older plants however...

Re:What Disease Is This? 8 years 9 months ago #36101

Maya and 5prong might be right. But, it also looks a little like alternaria to me. I've got issues with both alternaria and phytopthora at the moment because of all this non-stop rain.

Re:What Disease Is This? 8 years 9 months ago #36102

Ya, I agree BC. When plants become stressed they are very susceptible to disease.

I transplanted a 3 prong 8yo from a lousy area last year and it is now a 4, but it almost seems stunted, the leaves are small and some blotches on it. Otherwise it is not yellow like jimseng's. Hopefully our plants will come back normal next year jimseng.

Re:What Disease Is This? 8 years 9 months ago #36111

Thank you everyone. I was thinking all this rain had a lot to do with it. I cannot remember ever seeing so many rainy days together. The transplant stress on top of that makes a lot of sense. I wasn't too stressed myself over it being they are not doing it in groups, but just random. Just so odd seeing them look like they would in late October already. If I lose these yet have more transplants come up next year than did this year it will be way better than the results from the 3 year old rootlets are looking now.

Maya, good luck with that old transplant. That would be a shame to lose an old one that you have time in. Especially if she's bearing seed. The transplant stress reminds me of shipping fever you get with transporting calves. If there was only an 11 way shot we could give them to avoid it like the cattle.

5prong, good to know there is hope. I will check either today or tomorrow and see if any others have gotten effected. Maybe take note of the slope of effected plants' sites while I am at it. My woods is all over the place on slope and soil.

Brad, you happen to have any pics of your effected plants? That would be nice for reference. This daggone rain!

Jim

Re:What Disease Is This? 8 years 9 months ago #36208

Been too busy this summer to be able to take pics of much anything. I'll see what I can do for you though.

Re:What Disease Is This? 8 years 9 months ago #36220

BCastle wrote:

Been too busy this summer to be able to take pics of much anything. I'll see what I can do for you though.

Thank you. I am patient. Heck gotta be if one can plant seeds that takes 10 years to harvest!

I saw a few more yellowing and a couple of the stunted ones drop completely. Seeds only for me from now on.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 152 guests and no members online

Login