2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Deer damage

Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36019

Will Seng grow back if deer have eaten the tops? I'm new to this , my first time planting. Plan on putting up fencing , but the deer got in quicker than me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36022

If they are one year olds they will not come up next year or ever. If they are 2 year olds then maybe next year. 3 year olds or more, most likely they will come up again next year.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36023

Ok thanks. These were 3 year old rootlets that I planted last fall. The deer haven't seem to have been in the beds the seed was planted yet.

Re:Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36027

Any trasplanted root will be iffy due to the stress already incurred from being transplanted... the later in the growing season that they get browsed the better there chances....
Not that I'm disagreeing with Latt's answer. Just adding to it I guess..,

Re:Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36039

I agree with 5prong, 3yr. transplants will have less chance of coming back than a 3 year old plant started from seed. Deer generally won't go after seedlings because they are so small and short, often below the browse line. They will start nailing them once they get taller and into the 2 & 3 prong stages. Thats how it works in my woods anyway. The deer absolutely love ginseng leaves.

Re:Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36041

seem like around here the deer work on the plants the worst in june july and aug..don't know if they find other forage or the later it gets the plant may take on a bitter taste or what.

Re:Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36042

Loco Joe,
I saw where you posted after I replied to you that you planted some 3 year old rootlets.
I personally would rather spend my money on seeds than rootlets. Everyone is different but thats just me.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36047

Thank you all. This is a learning experience for sure. I hadn't seen the deer using this property in a while, but I guess they could not resist getting in my patch. I think from now on I'll be ordering seeds , not so much for the rootlets. Thanks again for your help.

Re:Deer damage 8 years 9 months ago #36064

I sure know the three year old rootlets left a darn bitter taste in my mouth! Seeds only for me from now on.
Chieftain wrote:

seem like around here the deer work on the plants the worst in june july and aug..don't know if they find other forage or the later it gets the plant may take on a bitter taste or what.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 311 guests and no members online

Login