2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to pUrchase agood spot for seng. Shade, soil, what about ALTITUDE?

How to pUrchase agood spot for seng. Shade, soil, what about ALTITUDE? 8 years 9 months ago #35964

I'm looking at a property that is 3000 ft to 4000 ft. I know that seng is growing on it. a friend has seng growing at 1000 to 1500 ft.

When looking at other locations, Are there pros and cons to altitude? The books talk about soil, shade, direction that the land is facing.

Would a higher altitude due to a cooler climate, help to reduce disease?

Thank you do much!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How to pUrchase agood spot for seng. Shade, soil, what about ALTITUDE? 8 years 9 months ago #35965

Iggy,

The place that you really are looking for is a mountain that faces North or Northeast. The 3000ft. or 4000ft. altitude is great. There are some things that can cause problems even at that altitude. Look for the right companion plants and trees. Poplars and Maple work real well. If there is Black Cohosh and ferns that makes it even better. If you see lots of scrub type Oaks and Pines, that can be a problem even at 3000ft. If the slope is facing West, that can be a problem. If you're investing good sums of money for land, you'd better have all the ducks in a row for the best results. Walk over the property good and see just what is growing. The altitude won't make too much difference about diseases. Moisture levels will. Good luck.

Hugh

Re:How to pUrchase agood spot for seng. Shade, soil, what about ALTITUDE? 8 years 9 months ago #35969

Iggy..

This statement \"I know that seng is growing on it\".. is absolutely the best assurance you can get.

I own 30 acres here at my home place and have tested plantings in several hollows, some that had wild seng growing already, and some that did not.

My best results are showing up as expected... in the hollow that already had some wild seng.

Many other locations that looked promising... but had no wild seng growing... have not done well at all.

If I were you I would look the property over really well and see how much wild seng is there, notice the size and health of the plants, and notice if it looks like it is reproducing well (older plants with offspring). If possible, I would harvest a few mature looking plants and see how old it is, and check the root size. That may or may not be legal depending on what state you are in. In TN it is legal to harvest for your own personal use (outside the official harvest season), but not for resale.

Look for signs of disease... here on my place the first indication of fungal issues is little yellow spots on the leaves... which later turn into bullseye type spots, and then to leaves that look like they are melting (later on in advanced stage).

I think the elevation that seng does well at varies by location some. Here where I live (southern middle TN) our elevation ranges from 600' to 1100' (in my county) and we hardly ever find seng above 800' elevation. We don't have mountains here, just hills and hollows.

Mountains obviously change that...

Best of luck with the location and your decision.

TNhunter

Re:How to pUrchase agood spot for seng. Shade, soil, what about ALTITUDE? 8 years 9 months ago #35976

What state are you in? There is no way you are growing seng at 3-4000' up north!

Re:How to pUrchase agood spot for seng. Shade, soil, what about ALTITUDE? 8 years 8 months ago #36050

I'm in NC. Thank you

Re:How to pUrchase agood spot for seng. Shade, soil, what about ALTITUDE? 8 years 8 months ago #36124

You have been given very good advice above!

All my plantings are around 4000 ft.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 491 guests and no members online

Login