2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is planting on a slope a must?

Is planting on a slope a must? 8 years 11 months ago #35369

I have a raised bed I'm building currently with bricks as the border and I'm gonna have it so the mulch and soil can be on a slope, I was just wondering if this is a must for your ginseng plants to thrive? I know the soil must have good drainage that's why most wild seng is found growing on a hill, if anyone has any suggestions for raised beds or how I should go about doing this please let me know. Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is planting on a slope a must? 8 years 11 months ago #35378

Raised beds normally provide enough drainage which is the purpose of a sloped site.

Re:Is planting on a slope a must? 8 years 11 months ago #35386

I agree with BCastle that if you are doing raised beds then you should have plenty of drainage.

I have seen wild seng thrive in flats (hollow bottoms) but not in every hollow bottom... usually when you do find it doing well in flats the soil is well drained, sandy or composed of a lot of rock chip or small rock. It does very well in locations like that with basically no slope at all.

Good Luck

TNhunter

Re:Is planting on a slope a must? 8 years 11 months ago #35389

Good advise guys,
Also I would be weary of building a border as it may stick out like a sore thumb to poachers.

Many woodland ginseng growers use raised beds without borders.

However, one extremely successful \"Woods Grown\" ginseng farmer told me raised beds did nothing for him verses just planting regular. He planted both ways.

I suppose if you have drainage issues it would be advantageous to use raised beds.
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds

Who's Online

We have 1000 guests and no members online

Login