2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts?

Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35221

Whew. Glad no seng up here yet. 25 degrees here at sunrise today. Does the cold alone hurt the sprouts or does it take frost and then sunlight to burn them like some garden plants? Mine are on a north west slope so won't see sun til it's done warmed up a bit. Would that make them safe if they had been up or if the sprout is just below the leaves or dirt?

Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35222

IMHO- if they are not above ground, that cold shouldn\"t bother them too much. what state are you in?

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35225

Whitjr:
I'm in Ohio about halfway up the state east side. Does it damage stuff thats up as well as companions?

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35227

A killing frost -what these are called in the south- is damaging. your area may be more used to this sort of frosts than mine.

Here in NC, if i had that sort of frost, it would kill my garden of tomatoes. peppers okra, squash, pumpkins, others... in short, the entire garden I have put in.

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35228

Whitjr:
Wow. We couldn't ever think of planting all that here this early. We expect lighter frosts or maybe a 28 degree night that is only that cold for a few hours here up til mid May. My grandma always said May 10th, but a couple years ago I saw frost on the 26th of May. I usually go for May 1 and take the loss if it happens and replant or be blessed and ahead of the game. I have all the cold tolerant stuff in the garden but it'll thrive from the cold hits.

Just being new to planting seng has me concerned about seng just below the surface or the couple that may have exposed themselves in the last three days or so (or what I missed when looking). Heck, I don't even know if frost hurts it. Some frosty seng or frost burnt pics if anyone has any would be really great.

Jim

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35229

It has frosted and been in the mid 20s here in years past with ginseng up pretty tall and never seen any damage.

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35232

got below freezing here last night at 31 turned the top few leaves on my stoneroot black but left my black cohosh, goldenseal, and ginseng un touched unless it comes a hard freese i think most herbs will be find the higher up the warmer last night so i think it only frosted in the colder valleys anyway best of luck guys

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35235

If the trees have leaves you on them the frost should not get to the ground mine were fine this morning it got 31 if they do use a spray tank with water spray them before the sun gets on them and they should be fine.. if the frost is left on plants it act like a magnifying glass with frost crystals and will burn the plants

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35246

A couple years ago I had a few early bird 3 leafers up on March 18... and then a few nights later it got down to like 26 degrees.

I checked them again a couple days later and some of them the leaves were burnt and shriveled up. They did not make it. Those that had not emerged yet came on up later and did fine.

Those few that come up extra early are at the most risk of getting wiped out by a frost.

TNhunter

Re:Does Frost/Freeze Kill Seedlings Or Older Sprouts? 8 years 11 months ago #35247

• ShadowWalker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If the plants come up too early and gets burned, do the roots go dormant for the year or does it kill the roots as well?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 164 guests and no members online

Login