2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seeds are in the Ground

Seeds are in the Ground 9 years 1 week ago #35014

Hello Everyone,

After a lot more work than I had estimated I have all my seeds in the ground. I started planting in mid March and finished up the last weekend of March. The conditions are not idea for ginseng, my soil is a silt loam not a sandy loam and the ground has less than 3% incline. These 2 issues may result in drainage problems and the \"wet feet\" ginseng hates. Time will tell if there is an issue there.

My first ginseng green shoot appeared two days ago. I'm hoping for many more in the next few weeks. My concern is tree coverage. The trees over the ginseng stand have not yet sprouted their leaves. It will be another 2 to 3 weeks before they are in full bloom, in the meantime there is little shade coverage for the ginseng. Will young ginseng plants tolerate this exposure to the sun, or should I look to cover them up with some shade cloth while I wait for the leaves to come in?

Thanks,
Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seeds are in the Ground 9 years 1 week ago #35015

Let em ride, Paul. They'll be fine.

Hillhopper

Re:Seeds are in the Ground 9 years 1 week ago #35021

PaulG- if you think about it, many forests are in the same condition when 'sang emerges. Once the leaves on the trees come out, then all is good. i'd be more concerned about the flat part. What state are you in?

Re:Seeds are in the Ground 9 years 1 week ago #35024

I'm in Northern Virginia. Some beds are pretty flat, with only a slight incline. Others have a better incline, tough not the suggested 9%. Some beds, the extremely flat ones I mounded for better drainage.

Re:Seeds are in the Ground 9 years 5 days ago #35083

Good Luck, PaulG! Keep us posted!

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 581 guests and no members online

Login