2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Soil Test and Question for Hillhopper

Soil Test and Question for Hillhopper 9 years 1 month ago #34783

Hello everyone. Been following the forum for about a year now and reading all the archived posts, fun and very informative. I own 40 acres of northeast slope/hill that I can see from my house. I got a soil test done last fall, the results came back as follows:
PH 7.1
OM 9.2
Phosphorus ppm 36
Potassium ppm 157
Calcium ppm 2960
Magnesium ppm 365
I realize the PH is high, my question for Hillhopper: Are you still applying sulphur to lower your PH? or should I just plant it and see what happens. I will be plating fairly dense and will spray. Thanks for any and all replies.

Lloyd 44

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Soil Test and Question for Hillhopper 9 years 1 month ago #34790

Lloyd,
I like to at least get my pH under 6.5 . It will grow fine at 7.1 but it is possible more alkaline soils make it more prone to soil born diseases. If planting very thin you would probably be fine but if intensely, I would lower it a bit. Wild ginseng grows great in my native soil but not as thick as I'm growing it.

Hillhopper

Re:Soil Test and Question for Hillhopper 9 years 4 weeks ago #34811

Thanks Hill, I appreciate the quick reply. I will move forward with the plan of adding elemental sulfur to lower the soil PH.

Lloyd44

Re:Soil Test and Question for Hillhopper 9 years 2 weeks ago #34882

Soil testing services is a valuable process which often be used in conjunction with plant tissue testing. Every former should keep in mind that soil tests should be taken before planting any crop and at regular intervals once plants are being planted. As Soil pH affects the availability of all plant nutrients.
Attachments:

Re:Soil Test and Question for Hillhopper 9 years 2 weeks ago #34887

Welcome to the forum, soiltest.

Some states Dept of Ag offer FREE soil testing for the in-state residents. Fo example, here in NC, it is free to NC State residents except during winter.

You should check with your state's regs, to see if that is athe case. Save money where you can!

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

Who's Online

We have 577 guests and no members online

Login