2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gathering Info on Growing

Gathering Info on Growing 14 years 4 days ago #3385

I've been checking this site out for a couple of weeks now and have been looking to grow ginseng for 3 or so years.

I have a sizable piece of hardwood forest in Mass. I understand from speaking with a professor at the local college that fall is the best time for planting.

My plan is to plant in the most organic way with the most minimal effect on my woodlands.

What is a reputable shop for seeds?

Is my professor correct that planting in the fall is the appropriate method to getting started here in the Northeast?

How many acres should be planted and at what density?

This is my land and I live on it. I am hoping to be able to keep poachers away, I can't imagine they would dare to come on my land but who knows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any one else from North of the Mason Dixon line???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Gathering Info on Growing 14 years 4 days ago #3389

organical wrote:

I've been checking this site out for a couple of weeks now and have been looking to grow ginseng for 3 or so years.

I have a sizable piece of hardwood forest in Mass. I understand from speaking with a professor at the local college that fall is the best time for planting.

Yes fall is when nature does its planting.

My plan is to plant in the most organic way with the most minimal effect on my woodlands.

That would be to just plant it and let nature take it's course for the next 10-12 years.

What is a reputable shop for seeds?

Is my professor correct that planting in the fall is the appropriate method to getting started here in the Northeast?

How many acres should be planted and at what density?

How busy do you want to be and what planting method will you employ?

This is my land and I live on it. I am hoping to be able to keep poachers away, I can't imagine they would dare to come on my land but who knows.

Better have it posted and be willing to run off violators.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, any one else from North of the Mason Dixon line???

Yes, Pennsylvania and welcome aboard.

Re:Gathering Info on Growing 14 years 2 days ago #3392

Thanks for the reply.

My wife doesn't work (she watches the kids) and is an avid organic farmer and she is truly eager to get cracking. We are both ready to work.

As far as the method for planting, what do you advise? I believe we have the land and climate requirements to do this in the most organic manner possible and we would like to fetch the highest dollar. I assume this means we should avoid raised beds and simply get the seed into the ground with minimal invasion?

My property is posted now all along my property lines, the area I am planning is very close to my house and we should be able to keep a good eye on it.

I will be planting this Fall it looks like. I need to read up a tad more on the planting procedure. What method did you use?

Thanks again Diesel.

Re:Gathering Info on Growing 14 years 2 days ago #3395

I would recomend Scott Person'smbookGrowing and Marketing Ginseng, Goldenseal & other Woodland Medicinals
Lots of info there.

I have used different planting methods. Like scrapping back leaves and scattering seeds and then re scattering the leaves over top to single seed planting with a seed stick while walking through the woods. You can scatter the seeds on the forest floor right before the leaves fall in autumn. Different methods will yield various results. In Scott's book he describes different ways of planting and some others that visit this site may have other ways.

The book will also cover what indicator plants to look for when selecting a site.Good Luck and have fun.

Re:Gathering Info on Growing 14 years 1 day ago #3400

Thanks again Diesel. I will pick up the book today...

Talk soon.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 621 guests and no members online

Login