2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: wild roots

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32725

You are absolutely correct Maya. And that was my understanding that he just wanted some seed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32728

That's what I'm after aswell. I just want to be able to watch the plants grow from start to finish without having to worry about poachers, bugs, deer, and rodents while replenishing the wildstock with seeds and rootlets. I did some research on west Virginia code and apparently I can't even have a raised bed without a permit :( I can rip the roots up and sell them legally but should I want them to continue growing under my supervision, I have to spend a couple hundred dollars :/

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32737

I have a friend who's dad had a large container in a nice location and he planted some seng roots in there and they thrived and did really well.

They got large and reproduced.

The shade was good, the light was good, the soil must have been good too. The location he had the container in.. wild seng grew right along the creek there.

It is definitely possible to grow it in a container and it do well. I saw that happen.

Not sure about the legalities...

TNhunter

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32770

RAISED BED DOES SOUND GOOD, especially for seedstock. I live in tn. and unless laws have changed it's illegal to dig roots for anything but to sell.

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32773

bawhite,

\"I live in tn. and unless laws have changed it's illegal to dig roots for anything but to sell.\"

Have you got a link to that statement?

Hugh

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32776

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32777

Maybe I'm missing it, but the only thing that I see that is illegal, is to move the plants out of state without certifying them or to not plant the berries in the approximate vicinity of where the plant was growing. If it is illegal to dig a ginseng plant and move it to your property, then half of the diggers in Tennessee are guilty. I guess that I'm just not seeing this.

Hugh

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32785

The statement below is not absolutely true...

\"I live in tn. and unless laws have changed it's illegal to dig roots for anything but to sell.\"

If you are harvesting for personal use (your own consumption).. the harvest season dates and other restrictions do not apply.

TNhunter

Below is how it reads...

Notice on all those restrictions... it says \"for the purpose of sale or export\".
If digging for your own personal use... those do not apply.

Notes on Tennessee Ginseng Harvest Season Laws
The wild ginseng Harvest Season is from September 1 to December 31 of each year. It is unlawful to dig wild ginseng for the purpose of sale or export on any date not within the ginseng Harvest Season.
No permits are required to dig wild or cultivated ginseng, but one MUST have the landowner's permission to enter the property and dig wild or cultivated ginseng. Ginseng collectors may dig wild ginseng on their own land.
It is unlawful to dig, for the purpose of sale or export, any wild ginseng plant that has green berries or that has less than three (3) prongs. A \"prong\" means a ginseng leaf with three (3) to five (5) leaflets.
It is unlawful to dig wild ginseng for the purpose of sale or export, and remove the berries of the wild ginseng from the approximate location from which the wild ginseng was dug, and to fail IMMEDIATELY after such digging to plant the berries of the wild ginseng in the approximate location from which the wild ginseng was dug.

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #33070

I don't agree with that law. Digging for selling, digging for consumption, or digging for transplant to start a patch on your private property are all the same in my book, you are digging the root from the original location in all 3 examples. What does it matter which option you do with the root?

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #33076

Mortis,

I think the issue has to do with property rights. If you own the ground, you own everything on it including the ginseng. While they can regulate the harvest to some extent, they have a hard time justifying the regulating of harvesting which does not result in the plants/roots going into commerce.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 110 guests and no members online

Login