2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: wild roots

wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32650

I have about 15 green wild roots that were recently harvested on my uncles property and I have some questions regarding transplanting them. The first is: can wild ginseng be grown in a container as long as soil and leaf litter from grow site is used? The second: could I run into legal problems with this endeavor in w.v. if I don't obtain some sort of permit or liscense? Roots vary in age from 7 to 20 years.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32662

Never tried this but if I did I would bury the container to its rim as I would be worried that the containers soil would freeze solid, 2nd thing I would be worried about is the roots if container grown would take on a cultivated look I would think.

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32666

X2

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32670

we've all done this lol. but fyi it is illegal. but if we don't try to start our own they won't be any for our grandchildren. I do plan on investing in some seed, tho. has anyone had good luk out of wildgrown seedstock? just checking, wish u luck!

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32679

I think GMCPaul hit it pretty much dead on. I've done it, but had poor luck doing it. I wouldn't advise it.

Instead, I'd recommend you put them in a raised bed. Put down a few inches of gravel to separate ground from bed, then landscape fabric, and fill it with a peat/sand/hardwood mulch mixture. Make sure your shade is good and they will be beautiful for years.

Legality:

I don't know what state you are in, but here, transplanting wild into beds is completely legal. However, harvesting seed from roots you harvest is not.

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32704

Bcastle can you go into anymore detail on making a raised bed?

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32714

Well, normally I till the ground where the bed is going to be to break up the sod and remove it. This always allows me to level the ground. I then normally use treated 2x8 for the beds and make them 16' long and 4' wide. Of course, you can make them any size you want. If you are in an area with nematodes, you need some sort of barrier for them. Plastic on the ground under the sides of the bed with a couple inches of marble size gravel under landscape fabric seems to help. Then just mix the peat, sand and hardwood mulch together and fill the bed.

The biggest thing about transplanting roots is to be sure to lay the thin roots hairs out flat...never let them get curled back up toward the neck of the root.

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32721

BC, don't you think a good buyer is going to know if a digger is bringing in a bunch of root that all looks the same, same age, poor character, etc. that it won't be considered wild? What's the point of raised beds?Easy to dig? Most of these guys beat the crap out of the roots anyways.

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32723

It seemed like BCastle was simply answering 4runner00's question when he asked \"Bcastle can you go into anymore detail on making a raised bed?\"

Latt

Re:wild roots 9 years 6 months ago #32724

Exactly. And thanks for the details Bcastle I'm just wanting to try a bed simply to have some to watch. And maybe get some seeds from

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 498 guests and no members online

Login