2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting Rootlets

Planting Rootlets 9 years 6 months ago #32251

Hey guys,
Well I received a few rootlets today from this site. Figured I'd give it a shot I got a 1/2 planted this evening gonna do the others tomorrow. Any tips when doing this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting Rootlets 9 years 6 months ago #32265

Lay them out so the smaller roots don't have to curl up. Also, be sure there are several inches of dirt over them.

Re:Planting Rootlets 9 years 6 months ago #32271

So should I be laying them in the ground on their side? Yesterday I tried to dig a V shape hole deep enough not to turn up the hair roots but was difficult hope I didn't waste my time on the roots planted so far

Re:Planting Rootlets 9 years 6 months ago #32274

The more I'm watching, the more I'm seeing ginseng growing on its side just under the leaf litter on top or right at the top of the soil.

Re:Planting Rootlets 9 years 6 months ago #32315

Well, I got the rest of the rootlets in the ground today so with them now in and a 1.5 lbs of seed I cant wait for spring to see what's going to happen.

Re:Planting Rootlets 9 years 6 months ago #32399

I'll be anxious to read about your results this spring. In 2011 I planted a bunch of 2 year old rootlets-I can't remember the name of the guy I got them from, anyway they looked great and I was amazed how big they were for 2 years old. I put them in woods I know ginseng grows with the top about an inch below ground and as best as I've been able to tell not a single one ever came up. It was a warmer and dryer than usual winter followed by a warm dry spring and summer, maybe that caused the failure. Hope yours goes much better!

Re:Planting Rootlets 9 years 6 months ago #32400

Hound,
I would like for you to email me about this so we can talk privately. My email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hugh

Re:Planting Rootlets 9 years 6 months ago #32563

In 2009 I got 10 rootlets and planted them in our woods. 2 days later I checked on them and all 10 had been dug up out of the dirt, and the roots were laying on the ground. I planted them all again a few feet over, and 2 days later checked again and all 10 were dug up and gone completely. Would that be the work of chipmunks, squirrels, turkeys, woodchucks, deer, or something else?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 526 guests and no members online

Login