2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Slope question

Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31172

What slope do you prefer and had the best results growing? I have had my best luck so far on a north east facing. It got morning sun and had really good soil.

I was thinking of planting a test plot this year on a west slope.... Think it would be worth a try?

Also, how steep is to steep? I was thinking sleeper would help keep down people and deer traffic?

thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31178

I think your logic there is fine. My area doesn't have hills quite that steep, fortunately.

I have good luck growing on southwestern slopes if the right amount of shade is there. The roots might not grow as fast...but that isn't always a bad thing. I've grown ginseng next to my porch in town with a western exposure. I planted some cinnamon ferns in front to provide shade when the sun got to that side of the house. So, I believe that some areas (NE slope) might be ideal, but never ever give up on what you have too easily.

Test plots are wise and I commonly suggest that to my customers.

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31179

I can't say where I've had good results in growing. However when hunting for it I have been on ravine sides that I had to hold on to saplings with 1 hand and dig with the other, because the sides were so steep. On the otherhand, at the top of the same ravine the land was relatively flat, and it was also growing. I think if the soil is right and the area is properly drained, the slope is not a critical factor.

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31328

I planted this North facing slope today. It was the best soil I have seen yet. I soil was real rich, loose, and loomy. Almost to loose... Is there such a thing?
Attachments:

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31329

I planted this North facing slope today. It was the best soil I have seen yet. I soil was real rich, loose, and loomy. Almost to loose... Is there such a thing?
Attachments:

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31330

Deleted.

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31331

Frank,
There are some larger trees on the ridge and I am thinking there will be enough shade. As u can see there is not a a lot of under growth.

It was just steep enough to make planting interesting
Attachments:

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31332

Deleted.

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31333

Frank,

There is undergrowth, just not a overwhelming amount that you can get with to much sunlight.

Re:Slope question 9 years 6 months ago #31336

BigRoots,
It looks great to me and that loose soil is a plus.
You could throw down a few limbs and branches if you're concerned about the soil washing.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 457 guests and no members online

Login