2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Initial Planting - Mix Ginseng Seeds or Stick with One

Initial Planting - Mix Ginseng Seeds or Stick with One 9 years 8 months ago #29103

Hi,

If you have read my previous posts you are aware I am planting my first small plot of ginseng in about a month. I am wondering if there is any benefit to buying seeds from different growers and planting in their own small beds, mixing them or just stick to one type of seeds when planting? The main thing I have learned over the past year of research for planning this year's planting is - there are no small or easy decisions when it comes to ginseng.

Thank you!
Doug

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Initial Planting - Mix Ginseng Seeds or Stick with One 9 years 8 months ago #29106

It somewhat depends on what your goal is. If you are planting to grow for roots to harvest, then I'd say it makes no difference. If you are planting to grow for seed and are looking to sell seed commercially in the future, then there might be some benefit to mixing different genetic sources.

I've planted plots with single source seeds and plots with mixed source seeds. I can't tell a difference between either and the offspring (seed) from both seem to do just fine.

Good luck to your start!

Re:Initial Planting - Mix Ginseng Seeds or Stick with One 9 years 8 months ago #29115

I will be planting to harvest a ways down the road. I'll try using one source for my first plot this year and see how it goes. I was wondering if one type of seed would grow better than another but I guess that it depends on the soil and not the seeds.

Re:Initial Planting - Mix Ginseng Seeds or Stick with One 9 years 8 months ago #29119

I think most folks try different seed suppliers. The seed might in fact only come from one of several commercially available sources, but the way the dealer handles it does make a difference.

If you do buy from different dealers, keep the seed separate. That way, you can tell which does better.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 167 guests and no members online

Login