2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finally seedlings _what should I spray them with?

Finally seedlings _what should I spray them with? 9 years 10 months ago #28698

First...really a great forum..I see a bunch of knowledge here.

Two years ago someone gave me a couple dozen stratified Ginseng seeds that I planted in \"Spring\" grew nice during the growing season...but the Winter must have taken a toll on them. Planted that batch in my hardwoods and was told that deer may have actually eaten them? Really need to go back and see if any may have survived, problem is I forgot exactly were I planted them :( and besides the Spring planting probably was not a good idea?

This last Fall I planted about 50 seeds around my property and a couple dozen under a White Spruce. The plants under the White Spruce are shaded by the untrimmed branches and they look very nice and healthy.

Noticed that a couple have some leaf damage that I suspect is insect related. What can I spray my plants with to keep them protected but at the same time growing in a wild state?

The PH under the Spruce (not Pine) is about 7 should I consider moving them next year?

Promise to get better organized this year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Finally seedlings _what should I spray them with? 9 years 10 months ago #28717

I'm by no means an expert here, and you'll likely get some better advise from some of the pros. I know that stratified seed will grow just about anywhere for the first year, it's making it through to the 2nd and 3rd year that is tough. In my experience, mature seng never grows naturally underneath evergreens of any type, whether pine, spruce, or hemlock. I'm not sure if the needles falling make the soil wrong, or what the deal is. I would suggest if you have seng plants growing there, to transplant them to a better location.

And I don't have experience with spraying plants for fungus/insects, so sorry I can't help you there.

Re:Finally seedlings _what should I spray them with? 9 years 10 months ago #28719

Probably slugs eating on your leaves at night. You can check for slugs by baiting a cup or bowl with beer. Position the container with one edge at ground level so they can crawl in. Have enough beer in it to drown them.

If you have slugs, I suggest \"Slug-o\" or some other similar organic product.

Good luck!

Re:Finally seedlings _what should I spray them with? 9 years 10 months ago #28731

While some folks like it, I'll continue to recommend my customers plant in the fall and do not try to hold seed until spring.

I agree, slugs is most likely damage. Small holes typically. Sluggo is what I use and recommend but understand Deadline has come out with an iron phosphate product also.

As for any other damage to the leaves caused by fungal disease (which is very common) you would have to be able to identify which disease organism is responsible to treat it correctly. I wrote a guide for fungicides this spring, and can tell you that there are many new ones out there since I researched them for the book a couple years ago. Ridomil and Serenade are two of the most broad spectrum products out there labeled for ginseng. However, you need to know what organism is the problem before you can chose.

Understand, however, spraying with anything will technically negate the wild simulated designation.

Re:Finally seedlings _what should I spray them with? 9 years 10 months ago #28733

Thanks for the responses..I do notice slugs anytime I lift an item off the ground.
They seem to be hitting my wifes rhubarb also.

Re:Finally seedlings _what should I spray them with? 9 years 9 months ago #28786

Spraying commercial chemical fertilizers and herbicides... Yes? Is that what you meant?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 233 guests and no members online

Login