2024 Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: My new patches.

My new patches. 10 years 3 months ago #28530

Hey guys, I start my 3rd year hunting Ginseng this year. Hooked! Wish I'd learned early in life but here I am. Hunt in Middle Tennessee. I also planted a pound of stratified seed last winter in 3 locations and my patches are coming up everywhere I planted. I tried to research and planted where I found the ''seng'' the last two years. Patches look good. Question: Can I cut back the leafs by the second or 3rd year to ''hide'' my plants?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:My new patches. 10 years 3 months ago #28534

hickster,

I would never cut back leaves or the plant top as it would deter your root growth and ruin seed production. Many say to remove the plant top after the berries drop so hunters will not find your seng once the leaves turn yellow. I think an experienced seng hunter can find your seng regardless if the leaves are green or yellow.

Another thing is this, Seng is like a tree in the sense that the plant juice flows up and down the stalk at different times of the year. Just like a tree, in the spring the juices flow from the root to the plant top. In the fall the juice flows the other direction from the plant top back down to the root.

Also the seng root spends a lot of it's stored energy to produce a stem and plant top.

I want my seng to have the benefit of having the good stuff flow back down into the seng roots. I think it makes them more healthy to endure stressful conditions and possibly grow larger with more potency.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Glad to hear your seng is doing well.
Latt

Re:My new patches. 10 years 3 months ago #28634

What part of middle tn are u from

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds

Who's Online

We have 94 guests and no members online