2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Well, I did it....

Well, I did it.... 14 years 5 months ago #2753

• kbuzbee
  • kbuzbee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Introduction - Hi! I'm Ken. Live in NE Ohio. My only experience with Ginseng is the occasional cup of tea. But I do like that very much.

We have a VERY shady yard. The backyard (of 1/2 acre) has 40+ trees. Maple, Tulip etc all over 200' tall. My issue has always been getting anything to grow under this canopy. I've had some success with ferns, hostas and Trillium (and I can't seem to stop the english ivy from spreading!)

Anyway, long story short, I discovered this forum and have been reading quite a bit. Very helpful.

So I decided to take the plunge and see if Ginseng will grow in this habitat... It seems like it should....

Ordered some seeds from Larry and they came today. I've read everything from completely preping and amending the soil to 'just dig a one inch deep hole and drop the seed in the dirt that's there'. I really want to do this as naturally as possible so....

I went out and dug a couple shallow trenches (1\") with a hoe, scattered the seeds and covered them. I know the advice is to cover them with leaves but this time of year, they will be well covered in a week. The ground is plenty moist until then and no freezes in the forecast. Should be okay?

The area is about 2000 square feet but I planted them in among the other existing plants I mentioned so it isn't 2000' of Ginseng, maybe 230 square feet? I spaced the seeds 1\"-2\" inches apart expecting field mice will have them thinned out by Spring....

So what do you all think?? Is this a reasonable start??

As to my goals:

1. Add a plant species that will thrive in this environment
2. Have fun
3. Learn new stuff
4. in 7-10 years drink my own tea and use the roots in a couple recipes.

I don't really think I'm looking to sell roots or anything like many of you do. But time will tell. Maybe they will do so well I'll just have too much to use. Who knows....?

My only real question to you folks right now (though all suggestions and comments are welcome!) is about water. This woodlot can get pretty dry in the summer and to keep the hostas and ferns and such alive I do water them as needed. Do you folks water your Ginseng? Is it good for it? Bad for it:? Does it affect it in any way? (I guess specifically I'm thinking about the discussions of cultivated versus woods grown/wild/wild simulated).

Anyway, glad to have found this community and I'll let you all know how things progress in the spring.

Cheers,

Ken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Well, I did it.... 14 years 5 months ago #2757

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Hello Ken and welcome to the forum.

I think your study speaks good for its self and that you have done prety goodm with the planting.I may have spaced the seed a little more,but I still think your fine.As for the water I have senged in dry seasons and like this year in an abundance of water and rainy season.I saw no difference in my favorite areas that I manage and seng in every year,except one,in the rainy year the plants stay green longer and have larger berys.

G/L Ken.

Re:Well, I did it.... 14 years 5 months ago #2763

Hello Ken

Yes one per inch is a little close as Billy said. That hoe thing is a good idea.
Ginseng can handle being watered but try to avoid wettin the plant. Them rubber leak hoses would work. A patch like this is in my backyard and they are doing fine.
Ginseng will grow if you have trilliums and such, during the dry season they will die back early if it's long. Next year they'll be back just like the trilliums.
This won't affect the status, maybe.
I like number two, but add a few pints and it's perfect.

Guy

Re:Well, I did it.... 14 years 5 months ago #2766

• kbuzbee
  • kbuzbee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the welcome!

I think your study speaks good for its self and that you have done prety goodm with the planting.I may have spaced the seed a little more,but I still think your fine.

We'll see how much comes up.... I may get a higher germination rate than I'm expecting, A good problem to have...

As for the water I have senged in dry seasons and like this year in an abundance of water and rainy season.I saw no difference in my favorite areas that I manage and seng in every year,except one,in the rainy year the plants stay green longer and have larger berys.

That's good to know. I mean, it makes sense, right. Nobody's out there watering \"wild\" in the woods....

G/L Ken.

Thanks! We'll see in the spring, won't we??

Yes one per inch is a little close as Billy said.

So I read a thread asking about thinning and the advice seemed to be let Momma Nature do the choosing (which, I kinda get the logic)but what about transplanting? Can little baby sproutlings be gently moved to a new location??

That hoe thing is a good idea.

Thanks. Not my idea, I read it (here or somewhere....?) It did seem to work well though and was fairly quick

Ginseng can handle being watered but try to avoid wettin the plant. Them rubber leak hoses would work. A patch like this is in my backyard and they are doing fine.

Ah, good point on wetting the plant.

Ginseng will grow if you have trilliums and such, during the dry season they will die back early if it's long. Next year they'll be back just like the trilliums.

I always like how Trillium spread. Ants like the seeds so they take them into their tunnels. They eat the flesh but leave the seed, and it grows from there. Little gardeners helpers! (Nicer than the way the deer spread Ginseng - though that works too!)

I think what I may try is to just water the Hostas and such. That'll put moisture in the surrounding soil without directly watering the Ginseng. That should help keep down molds and such. I tried to put a soaker hose in back there a few years ago. It didn't work well. The area in large enough it took three and there wasn't enough water pressure to do that... I guess I could hook each up separately..... I may try that....

This won't affect the status, maybe.

I guess it's more quality of the root I was asking about than technical status. Whether a root benefits from regular watering or from occasional drought. I guess I'd suspect the latter, within reason...

I like number two, but add a few pints and it's perfect.

You're right, there, Guy. Let's lift one!

Thanks for the input,

Ken

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 150 guests and no members online

Login