2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: So... how do you really feel... about crop theft?

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 3 months ago #26862

Sorry, guys! I wrote up a response (and should have copy/pasted into notepad just in case) over a 2 hour time period in between other responsibilities and it went poof.

I'm trying to wrap up things for the year end to enjoy a large chunk of time with my family, since I've had an extraordinary busy time this fall.

I'll type of my response, again, when I get the chance.

Happy holidays!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 3 months ago #26879

I feel your pain on that. Brad suggusted that these literary efforts are better handled as a word document, then cut and pasted. I tried it, and it works great!

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 2 months ago #26949

Now that the TV show \"Amercian Outlaws\" is on, I suspect that there will be a new wave of creativity in amongst the poachers.

Maybe we growers will also have some new \"approaches' to keeping poachers off... from that TV show.

Gotta look for the good in things, right?

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 2 months ago #26950

I can think of so many \"Booby Traps\" but man what if they hurt some innocent animal or someone wondering off course hiking. Needless to say I would hate for one to hurt anyone even a poacher I guess.

Like the snake skin hat fella on the show making shotgun shell land mines. Of course I am sure that was fake but I would hate to see anyone get their foot blown off.

Game cameras (All-thou Good in general) are good for catching people in the long run but may fall short in preventing poachers from walking out of the woods with all your roots.

Camouflage comes to mind as it may become harder to protect our seng plants from poachers. Here are some thoughts that may be a possibility. Cover crops with loose Brush piles. I use this one and it works great. Plants come up and grow fine and you can hardly see them. Plant close to nettles, berry stickers etc. Plant in smaller spots spread throughout the woods. Plant on hard reach steep slopes. Basically plant in spots where old timers and lazy punks would not want to trek.

I always heard planting close to a dog house works well for those that may have that opportunity. A barking dog wards off a lot of trouble in my opinion.

Hey just thought of something. I know they make an alarms with the sound of a dog barking which may work well in the woods.

It would be set to be tripped in the same manner a trail cam is. I wonder if they have ones that you can record yourself with a recording that could say \" HEY GET OFF MY LAND\"\" Or how about the sound of a shot gun. I bet that would startle the piss of of someone. Do they make anything like that???
Latt

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 2 months ago #26954

Well, I feel that after my cameras caught them the first time, I would be waiting the next. With their legs knocked out from under them with a club, their teeth knocked in and dragging their self out of the woods with my foot in their rear end every few minutes then hopefully they would get the hint and tell all their friends where to stay away from. I hate a thief

Hillhopper

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 2 months ago #26955

Another thought. A man could fence off an 8'x8' area to keep animals out and to help make that particular spot more obvious amongst a planting to a poacher. While inside having many very large plants(above and beyond the rest) to bait someone with and about 6 steel traps mixed between. They would have to hit at least one in such a small area and probably a few more when they panicked from the first. I could see finding a poacher being completely pinned down in that scenario. Of course, that would only work on private property where it was posted for no trespassing.

I just hope mine remains undiscovered and I can stay my happy, calm self and I don't have to deal with it.

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 2 months ago #26958

Somewhere on my computer i have plans for a ip addressable web cam with pan and zoom, it is operated with a battery,solar panel, 400watt power inverter, cellular router and an analog timer. it can send a text message or email to a phone or computer and alert you when it is activated, you can then log on and take control of the camera and have a look around and determine if it is a real threat or a false alarm. The only requirement is you have to have cellular service and pay the monthly router fee. the cost for the setup n be less than $500. with this set up you should be able to salvage some of your crop unless you live 4 or 5 hours away.

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 2 months ago #26962

K_duce,
I've been imagining a system like that. Sounds awesome in theory, but I wonder how reliable it would be.I am within one hour away from my patches and this is exactly what I want. Any chance you could elaborate more on the details on how to set it all up?

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 2 months ago #26965

Basically how it works is like this, and im going from memory
Using a cellular router that will locate a signal for transmission and a ip address of the web-cam the system will auto configure itself on start-up, the cameras ip address will be given in the documentation.
Then it is required to provide some type of power to the devices (marine deep cycle battery is used to power a power inverter to convert from dc to ac and is wired to the camera and the router, in order to keep the cellular system from freezing up or locking up y0u can install a circuit timer like one to operate lights, this will automatically reset the power at given intervals and allow your system to go thru its boot up sequence and automatically be brought back online. software provided with the camera can be set up to send alert texts or emails, once you have been alearted you can put the ip address into your browser and ping your webcam and using the web-cam software you can pan and zoom. A solar panel would be used to keep the battery charged.
I hopte to be building one soon and will keep you posted when i start.

Re:So... how do you really feel... about crop theft? 10 years 2 months ago #26970

I'll tell you guys something that's a fact... a booby trap will get you in trouble
because you will either

A. Hurt yourself because you accidently got caught in it

B. Sued because someone besides yourself actually did get hurt

C. Arrested because you hurt someone

In most cases you can't hold someone at gun point until the law gets there... they will arrest YOU.

HOWEVER... IF someone were to HAPPEN to slip and fall on said trespassor/theif/poacher and your elbow accidently landed on their face several times.... well... it's hard to prove in court that you assualted anyone. It was simply an accident.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 636 guests and no members online

Login