2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plant Seeds or Throw Away???

Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26247

I ordered some stratified ginseng seeds last year and never got time to plant them. I've had them in the refrigerator and now they've been held over for a year. Back during the spring, I noticed that the seeds had started to try to split open. I put them further back in the refrigerator and they never tried to open further. I did the float test tonight and though I had to get rid of some, most sank to the bottom. Should I go ahead and plant these seeds this year, or am I wasting my time? I was hoping to get them out right after Thanksgiving when I am off from work.

Thanks,

Jason

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26251

yeehaw21 wrote:

I ordered some stratified ginseng seeds last year and never got time to plant them. I've had them in the refrigerator and now they've been held over for a year. Back during the spring, I noticed that the seeds had started to try to split open. I put them further back in the refrigerator and they never tried to open further. I did the float test tonight and though I had to get rid of some, most sank to the bottom. Should I go ahead and plant these seeds this year, or am I wasting my time? I was hoping to get them out right after Thanksgiving when I am off from work.

Thanks,

Jason

Yes by all means plant them! I ordered a half pound of stratified seeds from Wildgrown in the fall of 2011 and did not get around to planting them until the fall of 2012. Ginseng seeds have a normal 18 months dormancy period before they will germinate and emerge, so there is no problem with planting them this year. I never got to the high locations this year where I planted some of my' seeds last year to check out how many came up but down low in the mountain hollow where I planted, the germination rate was very high with lots of flat tops (three leafers on one stem) all over the place. I soaked mine in water for 24 hours, drained the water off, then planted them and I would recommend the same!

Frank

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26262

def. plant them...my concern would be the possibility of mold though...I would recommend a 10 to 1 bleach solution soak then for a cpl minutes and def. plant them. I say this because you don't know what is lingering in your fridge that could promote mold. you can ALWAYS tell buy smelling the seeds, if they have a funky smell to them def. do the bleach to water ratio to assure sprouting

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26265

You paid for them, right? Don't throw the $$$ away, put it into the ground. That's what I'd do.

As stated above, sometime the seeds ly dormant for quite some time, before emerging.

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26300

Thanks for the advice! Very much appreciated. Just wanted to be sure. I was a little wary where they had begun to crack open a few months ago.

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26331

Welcome to the forum!

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26364

I concur...plant them.

As long as they didn't germinate and send out little roots, they will be fine.

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26366

BCastle wrote:

I concur...plant them.

As long as they didn't germinate and send out little roots, they will be fine.

I agree! However, I believe that the seeds with little fine roots can be planted in potting soil in flats and kept inside for the Winter, right!!?? I am not sure that they would send up small tops but if they do, then that is probably a plus, then take them out and plant them in the Spring. Also, I am not sure that this will work but it is better to try, than to let the seeds go to waste!

Frank

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26374

yeehaw21, welcome to the forum.
I do not think they will grow. So please send them to me so I can plant them. lol
Just kidding, I agree with the others, they should be find IMHO.
Good luck.
Latt

Re:Plant Seeds or Throw Away??? 10 years 5 months ago #26437

Just wondering . . . Is there anyway to test germination with ginseng seeds?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 778 guests and no members online

Login