2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Paging Va Fiddler to the white courtesy phone...

Paging Va Fiddler to the white courtesy phone... 10 years 10 months ago #22926

I wanted to keep you up to speed on how my poedmont patch is growing. As well as was wondering how yours was doing?

My backyard woodline is where my piedment experiment is growing. Had pretty dismal luck last year, most of what came up from seed/rootlets died about mid july, even thos I watered it. I had planted about a pound and a half of seed in 6 small beds, and a pound of rootlets in another.

A footnote is that we didn't have the drought here that a lot of you guys had elsewhere.

I sorta gave up on it, after all seed/rootlets isn't that cheap, and the soils there were old tobacco land only 20 years ago. While there was leaf clutter about 1/2 inch thick, the soil under it seemed spent.

I amended the soil with the Nutri-Grow that I have become fond of. I also applied a 4o lb bag of lyme and a partial 40 lb bag [about 25 lbs] of gypsum there. I marked trees to cut some lower limbs off of if things worked out back there.

I checked it about mid april, and found little or nothing up back there except va creeper, and poision ivy under the limbs. That is to say, no 'sang.

I concluded that there was little more to do back there, however, didn't entirely want to give up on it.

I went back there on Sunday, past. Wow! Found at least 100 three-leafters, in only two beds there. I had shorts on so diodn't climb thru the poision ivy to inspect the remaining three beds. gotta do that with long pants on...

Will post photos from that later....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Paging Va Fiddler to the white courtesy phone... 10 years 10 months ago #22928

Some of the new 3-leafers back there
Attachments:

Re:Paging Va Fiddler to the white courtesy phone... 10 years 10 months ago #22929

and some more
Attachments:

Re:Paging Va Fiddler to the white courtesy phone... 10 years 10 months ago #22940

Thanks Whitjr for the update! I've had basically the same experience with the piedmont site near my house. Its a hot dry site that was tobacco farmed until maybe 30 years ago and still surrounded by a lot of tobacco. Clay rich soils with little organic matter. Each year the plants come up, get chewed up by something, and die by July. Each year I think I've seen the last of them but they keep coming back so far. I actually don't think I lost any plants from last years population. Can you tell whether yours are as big as similar aged plants in your mountain sites? I know mine are much smaller. I think they're 3 years old now, and only 1 out of 10 is a 2-prong. On the other hand, I have another piedmont site thats in a larger patch of woods and stays cooler and moister. Its doing just fine.

Re:Paging Va Fiddler to the white courtesy phone... 10 years 10 months ago #22954

As to size of the plants, they are def sparser, however appear the same in size. However that having been said, I, like you, do not have many two prongs and definately no 3 prongs.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds

Who's Online

We have 178 guests and no members online

Login