2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Emerging seedlings

Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22599

Last fall I planted around 28,000 seeds. They have been emerging for about a week now...I'm estimating some where between 42% to 50% have emerged...so I'm hoping for another week or two of emergance already happy with how things are turning out, mostly just scratched the soil and planted. Tilled lightly in a couple spots. I didn't plant as close as some of the pics indicate, I think some shifted winter thaws/ run off etc...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22600

-
Attachments:

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22601

-
Attachments:

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22602

-
Attachments:

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22603

If my wife lets me I'm planning on planting 2 more pounds this year and two more the next

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22606

4 lb.s of seed in last year? that's great! your emerging 3-leafers are looking real good.

If you get more than 50% to come up, you are doing real good. how did you arrive at your count so far?

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22609

The smaller beds I counted each plant to get the percentage emerged my larger beds I randomly selected ten foot sections, counted the amount up,subtracted from the amount planted added the percentage from each section to come up with an average percentage for that bed and then added them all to figure a general percentage....I'll repeat counting in three weeks or so to see what total for this spring...hoping for somthing between 50+ percent but this being my first time at this I'm happy to see the amounts that I'm seeing.

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22616

I'd wait a bit longer before making a call on germination %. Just in case there are some stragglers that germinate late.

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22617

Some of them may not come up this year but will next, and some will even wait until the year after next.

I noticed in my 3 year old beds last weekend, some (just a few) that were obviously first year 3 leafers.

Even if you have very good germination 75-80% for example, next spring, and the spring after a few more will likely come up.

This oddity in germination may be part of greater plan for overall survival.

PS - Good Looking 3 leafers !

TNhunter

Re:Emerging seedlings 10 years 10 months ago #22631

So I went out and checked the bed that has lowest germination rate and there are plenty of good healthy seeds, the five or so I dug up had strong healthy tails going down deeper into the soil just no top growth...do you think that they will wait till next year?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Who's Online

We have 359 guests and no members online

Login