2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Growing ginseng in SC

Growing ginseng in SC 15 years 7 months ago #223

• Liz
  • Liz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I recently ordered ginseng seeds and am trying to decide when would be a good time to plant them in Spartanburg, SC. If I plant them now, in September, and they sprout, will they survive the winter? Should I wait until November or December to plant them?

What is the best fertilizer to use?

Where can I purchase forestry sand? What is the difference between forestry sand and other sand?

Liz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Growing ginseng in SC 15 years 7 months ago #232

Liz, I don't think they will sprout until spring. I do not know how cold it gets down your way but, ginseng needs two cold and then warming spells to germinate. If you have stratified seed it already has had one full cycle. You can plant now, or anytiime between now and spring, and they should sprout in the spring. Keep the seeds moist- that'e the biggy! If they get dry, they die and will not sprout. With that in mind, if it is dry there, it may be better to plant later in the fall when there may be more moisture in the ground. Keep them in a plastic bag in the fridge and keep them moist or damp, but not wet. Hope this helps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds

Who's Online

We have 330 guests and no members online

Login