2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: is it too late to plant my ginseng seeds? november in vermont

is it too late to plant my ginseng seeds? november in vermont 11 years 4 months ago #21654

Hey guys, just wondering if it is too late to plant my seeds that just came in the mail. It hasnt snowed yet in my area of vermont and the ground is still easily scratch-able. temperatures are in the 30's-40 during the day and 20's at night. Can I still plant seeds or will they die?

Also does anyone germinate there seeds indoors in the spring and plant them outdoors already germinated. Or is the germination best kept to nature?
thanks!
justin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:is it too late to plant my ginseng seeds? november in vermont 11 years 4 months ago #21655

Perfect time of the year to plant.

Indoors is not the way to go for anything related to seed germination to growing ginseng from seed indoors. I have tried it all and it will work for a while but will ultimately fail for various reasons. So it is best left to mother nature outdoors.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:is it too late to plant my ginseng seeds? november in vermont 11 years 4 months ago #21669

If your ground is not frozen, planting is OK. Just be sure you get them in there, with a decent leaf clutter cover.

good luck!

Re:is it too late to plant my ginseng seeds? november in vermont 11 years 3 months ago #21700

I agree with the others... as long as the ground is not frozen - you can rake the leaves back and lightly cultivate the top soil with your leaf rake and it flufs up a bit - you should be good to plant seed.

Just make sure you get them coverd up good and I always walk up and down my beds after raking the leaf mulch and leaves back on - to press the leaves down on the seed, and the seed into the fluffed up soil. That makes sure they get good contact with the soil, and helps to keep your leaves from blowing off too.

I have not tried starting any indoors, but I would think like the others - you would be better off planting them outdoors and let the natural thing happen.

Best of Luck !

TNhunter

Re:is it too late to plant my ginseng seeds? november in vermont 11 years 3 months ago #21705

I think these guys have gave you sound advice. I have noticed some delayed emergence with some of my own late plantings, so dont be extremely surprised if some or most of your plants dont sprout until the spring of 2014.
Im in Ohio and will be doing some planting this weekend, so dont get me wrong,there is definately the posibilty that you will have a great germination this coming spring. Just wanted to prepare you for other possibilities...

Re:is it too late to plant my ginseng seeds? november in vermont 11 years 3 months ago #21717

Justin, I'm from south central Ontario and finished my planting last weekend. You should be fine, get them down an inch in the soil for best results in northern areas like ours.

guy

Re:is it too late to plant my ginseng seeds? november in vermont 11 years 3 months ago #21718

thanks for the awesome advice everyone. i planted pretty much all of my seeds..still could plant more but it snowed today. its supposed to be in the upper 50's this week though..maybe one more planting day? we will see

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 476 guests and no members online

Login