2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Notes for the season

Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18686

As I have mentioned before, I felt that plants were beginning to show yellow color because they got an early start and they are coming to the end of their growing cycle as a result of this early start. Today I walked over my patches at my house and my observations are showing me that most of the 3 leafers that came up early on are now yellow and disintergrating like ginseng normally does. We had a lot of delayed emergence here and the ones that came up about a month later when we got rains are now the mature ones and starting to yellow. The last plants that came up about two months after the first emergence are still green and somewhat smaller. They appear to be the only plants that will make it until September.

On another note, I had my first damage to my ripening seeds last night and they were some of the latest to mature. They were the roots that I got from Billy and it sure looks like damage from Chipmunks. I'll place traps in the area tomorrow . but I don't know if I will get any seeds from these plants or not. I have picked about 700 seeds from other plants that matured earlier and had no damage at all. Let's hope I can get a few.
Are any others seeing their 3 leafers go down?
Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18688

It's been a pretty good year for my seng plants. But its been dry over the month of July, and some of the seedlings have started to wilt. We did get some rain yesterday and I hope that will cause the yearlings to perk up a little. The older plants look great.

I hope to get atleast the amount of seeds I harvested last year, which was about 22k. The berries are just starting to swell. Some plants have more than others. Some plants have very few berries. Should have plenty of seeds to stratify this year.

The only problem I've had is some plants being browsed by deer.

Here's a few pics.

Wilted seedlings.
Attachments:

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18689

Berries.
Attachments:

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18690

More berries
Attachments:

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18691

Plant with fewer berries.
Attachments:

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18694

classicfur?

Is that 22 kilos or 22 thousand seeds?

rootman

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18695

rootman

I wish it was kilos! Instead it's just 22 thousand.

From what I see of berries on the plants, I would thing that there is some where between 25 and 30 thousand seeds. I'll have to wait and see.

classicfur

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18696

classicfur

I hear that! 22 thousand is still a good crop, wish I had that many to pick.

rootman

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18697

Yeah, I agree with Rootman, Classic. That sounds like a great crop and good work on your part. Have you started stratifying any seeds yet, or are you just planting straight into the ground?
I planted the last of mine this morning and went to the mountains to see what was going on with my plants up there and to look at the wild sang that I found this Spring. Someone is already digging the bigger, wild plants that I had found a month before the season opens. I even found a pair of binoculars sitting on a stump close by that they had left.:angry:
Hugh

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18701

So wrong to be digging already. Hope they lose their truck off a cliff...not with them in it, tho.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 353 guests and no members online

Login