2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is row planting the way to go?

Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 7 months ago #1861

• Digger
  • Digger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well, I am planting a lot more seng this year on my property, and now am struggling for space...I can be more efficient with row planting, but more and more people are saying not to due to increases in disease. I sure don't want to have that problem. How about some of you give me some of your advice on this? I think crowding it makes it more prone to disease, and I have always gone \"by the book\" in the past. Some of you with more experience will tell me, right? (Thanks!)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 7 months ago #1898

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I personaly do not row plant for the very reasons you said your self and I totaly agree with you in that,I guess also we have just got to stop once it is well enough planted as well,that was hardest for me LoL ,but I did... g/l

Billy.

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 7 months ago #1900

Digger row planting is just fine spacing is where you have got to be careful. Plant your seeds anywhere from 4 to nine inches apart. IF you want more sang for the space go with 4 inches that is the least one could get away with. and give your rolls at least eighteen inches apart or twenty to be more cautious. my seng is spaced well enough apart to keep from disease and i still had problems this summer due to all the rain. I don't like to use chemicals on my seng and this is the first year i did, but i didn't have no choice blight hit it pretty hard but luckily enough i caught it in time. And i have never fertilized it either.

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 6 months ago #2160

Can i replant the root with out the stem? or do i need to leave the stem on the root?

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 6 months ago #2284

Bowhog, I'm not sure weather you are refering to the stem af the plant or the growth stem of the root. In the case of the stem of the plant yes you can plant without that. It gets more tricky when you are refering to the growth stem. It may grow, but it wont sprout a new top the following year if it doesn't have the growth bud that form in late summer/early fall. It may not recover, but a lot of times it will continue to grow and sprout a top the 2nd or 3rd spring. I believe this is why some years ginseng skips coming up at all. They get ate off early in the year by deer or other animals before the growth stem forms and therefore dont sprout a top the following spring. But this is not the only reason as I have seen plants die off in the fall and not come up the next spring anyways.

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 6 months ago #2293

• Guy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just keep in mind the size of a full grown plant at 20 to 30 inches across.

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 6 months ago #2351

hey guy i need some seeds how do i get them from you and how mutch

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 6 months ago #2352

i need some seeds can anyone help ? im ready to buy now

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 6 months ago #2353

Check with Tuckasegee Valley Ginseng(828-293-5189).I have bought seed from him the last 2 years and it is good seed.Scott Persons is the owner and he is also the author of Growing and marketing Ginseng,Goldenseal,and other woodland medicinals.The book is full of good information and if you dont have a copy you should consider buying it.

Re:Is row planting the way to go? 14 years 6 months ago #2356

thankyou lenno i had called him 120.00pd or 70.00 a half he is very imformative

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 122 guests and no members online

Login