2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: last years poor seed germination in the spring

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17279

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17280

Here is a two year three prong just beginning to stretch out. I have realized they are not that uncommon, I have found quite a few so far.

Attachments:

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17282

And last but not least is a pic of a nice little wild patch that has eluded me for years. It was a nice site to see, Ill definately head back that direction this summer to harvest for seed bed plants.

Hillhopper
Attachments:

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17285

Hillhopper - Nice pics. Very nice looking patch of two year olds.

Guy - I will try to get out in the next week or so to the plantings of mine that had very poor germination last year. I'll gladly share what I find with everyone here.

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17303

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Hillhopper wrote:

And last but not least is a pic of a nice little wild patch that has eluded me for years. It was a nice site to see, Ill definately head back that direction this summer to harvest for seed bed plants.

Hillhopper

Hillhopper i have not noticed any 3 pronged 2 year plants from the strat seeds that i have planted only 2 prongs but i still have sevral patches to check in on.I find this interesting. That wild patch that alluded you is very nice also and will be good seed for sure....Nice looking stuff,Billy.

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17361

• Guy
  • Guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • BSMGinseng.com
Hillhopper , the plant in this picture, with the small white flowers, looks like what we call \"bed straw\".
This plant is an excellent indicator plant, I find.
It covers the ground and holds in the soil moisture, but you may have to control it .

Guy

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17382

Well, I went and checked my plantings from a year and a half ago.... I did find some newly sprouted sang plants, but even with these added to what came up last year the results are still very disappointing. On a brighter note last falls plantings showed excellent germination. After last springs poor results I had real reservations about wether or not I was going to purchase more stratified seed to plant. I was not the only one with poor results last spring so I thought to myself that I would try once more and if that turned out poorly, then I would probably never buy stratified seed again. I sought out a new seed scource and found a supply from a woodsgrown ginseng farm nearby in Ohio. (I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I liked the thought of getting seed from a scource that has been grown in basically the same climate conditions that I am planting in.)
I am not as organized as some of you guys and could not give really accurate germination percentages, but from what I've seen I'd guess that this year the percentage would easily be above 80%. I also purchased 100 rootlets from our friend Latt to tranplant. Virtually all of these have came up and appear very healthy.
The other project that I really spent some time on last fall was tranplanting wild mature roots to a particular hillside for a seed producing area. I think it may still be a little bit to early to say for sure how this is doing. About half of what I tranplanted is up, but I found some that are still pushing up. I noticed that a group of about 20 plants that I tranplanted right at the end of the digging season are all still hiding. So far it seems like groups that I dug from a specific area emerge at about the same time and groups from other areas emerge at different times.
I'm definately starting to feel like a grower now:ohmy:

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17387

• Guy
  • Guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • BSMGinseng.com
good to see a plan come together.

guy

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17396

5prong,
I too purchased some seed from the Ohio grower. I got 5 lbs from them two years ago. This grower is in Eastern Ohio so I am sure it is the same fella. I did not buy from him directly but went through the Muskingum Soil and Water Conservation Office and I think Tanner was their contact. it was great seed.

I would really like to see his Ohio operation but I do not think the grower wants to disclose his location and who could blame him I guess.
Latt

Re:last years poor seed germination in the spring 11 years 11 months ago #17397

I'm going to check on my mountain patch this weekend. Also, I have gotton 6 lb.s from tanner, and that's what I hope to see as \"fields of green\" this coming weekend!

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 395 guests and no members online

Login