2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Root shapes

Root shapes 12 years 5 months ago #15166

This root appears to have been 2 roots that have grown together. It has 2 buds for next year stems. I understand that some shape difference is due to the ease the root grows through the soil. But, I seem to have this root growing next to carrot shaped ones.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Root shapes 12 years 5 months ago #15186

Delta Dawn,
That is a good size root, what did it weigh. I sure you know it is not uncommon to find a root with two stems growing off the same root. I have found many and I have heard of 3 and 4 at times. I transplanted a root last year with 3 nice growth buds ready to produce 3 plant tops this fall but someone got to it.
Dave

Re:Root shapes 12 years 5 months ago #15192

To tell you the truth I didn't think to weigh the root, I just took a picture and replanted it. I planted seeds several years ago and this is the first year I have dug roots, so I really don't know that much about them. I dug 4 or 5 roots and sent a picture to a buyer and was advised to wait a couple more years. Of course those roots were long carrot shaped . So far I have dried a few,and just put some in dirt to keep fresh for my use over the winter. What are they selling for now? I am attaching the picture I sent the buyer, again a big difference.

Attachments:

Re:Root shapes 12 years 5 months ago #15193

To be completely honest with you Delta, those look pretty rough. The one on the left looks better than the other three, which as wild have very little value in the current market. The neck on the first also suggests it was grown very fast. Did you use any fertilizers?

Here is a picture of some higher grade dried roots...

And some better fresh root...

...and one more as its being dug...

Edit: it appears someone removed the links to the full size images...sorry folks

Re:Root shapes 12 years 5 months ago #15201

did you break it apart after drying? Major no-no!

Re:Root shapes 12 years 5 months ago #15209

In the past I just planted roots and seeds in the woods, adding nothing to the soil. I did pull weeds the first couple of years. 3 weeks ago I applied \"organic\" gypsum for the first time to my old and new beds. Hopefully the roots will bulk up rather than grow long and skinny. Any other suggestions ?
The two pictures are of different roots, a few tops were broken off while being dug, but none were intentionally broken apart.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 584 guests and no members online

Login