2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ginseng Seeds

Ginseng Seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1446

• Ginseng
  • Ginseng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
When should i plant my ginseng seeds?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1449

Hey you can plant ginseng seeds anytime in between September and December as long as the ground is not frozen. Some people even plant in August. I have planted in August, September, October, November and early December with good luck. I believe planting early before the leaf fall is better though so you don't have to worry about mulch as much. Good luck with the planting.

Re:Ginseng Seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1456

Hillbilly, do you think you could use hay or straw in place of leaf litter to cover your newly planted seed or roots?I have a pretty steep hill that doesn't hold leaves very well but has pretty good looking dirt and is facing north. What do you think?Also please take a look at my posting for a problem I have with my ginseng. If anyone has any idea please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks

Re:Ginseng Seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1461

Do NOT use hay!!!!! I have tried it and even if the hat=y is older, you can get a whole bunch of \"hay\" growing in your patch. Straw is ok though. If the hill is steep and leaves do not lay, you may also have problems with straw sticking. You may want to lay some branches over your mulch after planting to help hold the mulch in place. Once again, I would recommend Scott Person's book. It covers all this. Good luck.

Re:Ginseng Seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1463

I agree with dieselrider also on this subject. Though i have never used straw or hay i know a couple people who do. It works well but they do get some grass that comes up. One of them told me though you can get a spray that kills grass and that is it that he uses on his beds. The first year though before the seed comes up you have to go and fluff it up so that the baby seng want have a problem coming up. Then after that a two year old shouldn't have any problem pushing up through the mulch. Also take my advice and dieselrider's and get the book. One more hint when the weather starts to warm up do regular checks on your beds to make sure the mulch is still on the beds. I made that mistake on one of my beds this year only to find no mulch and my seeds had already sprouted due to some unusually warm march weather and when the first frost came it killed all of my baby seng.

Re:Ginseng Seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1478

Thanks for the help!!!!Hey do any of ya'll ever get together for a summit meeting in person?Has anyone heard of such of a thing near sw virginia?Can you recommend another web page like the harding site?

Re:Ginseng Seeds 14 years 9 months ago #1483

hey steeltrap i am new to this forum so i don't know of anyone getting together, though i would like to see something like this also. Where do you live in Virginia. I live like only five minutes from wise county Virginia. Thats about as sw as you can get. Give me a couple of days to go through my bookmarks but i believe this site and the hardings site are the best ones as far as a lot of info on them.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

Who's Online

We have 360 guests and no members online

Login