2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Round Up

Round Up 12 years 9 months ago #11037

I'm putting in a ginseng bed in an area that has some weeds there presently. Would my ginseng be effected if I sprayed the weeds with Round Up to kill weeds? I won't be planting for another month but worry that the Round Up may hurt the ginseng. Any responses would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kyle

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Round Up 12 years 9 months ago #11038

Spray away Kyle, it won't hurt it a bit.

Hillhopper

Re:Round Up 12 years 9 months ago #11039

Round-up is non-selective, killing both broad and narrow leafe plants, basically anything green with leaves.

I do think you could spray an area (say this summer) and then plant it later in the fall.

I would recommend that you do that early summer if you plan to plant in the fall.

I know for sure that Larry harding disk up big areas of woodland and sews seng seed and then mulches with straw.

In the spring the seng comes up all mixed in with lots of weeds including wheat from the wheat straw.

He sprays something that kills the narrow leaf stuff (selective herbicide), but does not bother the broad leaf stuff (including the seng).

I expect that if you spray roundup on seng, it will surly die.

I do spray it in a ditchline that I have at the edge of my yard and it kill everything there, broad and narrow leaf stuff, kills them all the same.

I had a spot that I picked out early last spring that I wanted to plant some seng in - it was ideal except for the forest floor being thick with poison ivy (hate that stuff and it bothers me bad), so early last summer I sprayed the heck out of it with roundup, waited 2 weeks and sprayed again, just to make sure I got it all.

I planted it last Octber/November and had excellent results there.

TNhunter

Re:Round Up 12 years 9 months ago #11040

I've been in the horticulture - landscaping business for about 13 years roundup has to come into contact with the leaves to work. It doesn't hurt seeds and once it dries it is safe to plant. So u should be fine.

Re:Round Up 12 years 9 months ago #11044

I thik about rondup to

Re:Round Up 12 years 9 months ago #11047

Thanks fellas. Great stuff as always.

Re:Round Up 12 years 9 months ago #11054

May want to check into using 2,4-d based herbicides too for the woody stuff.being in the landscape business i don't have too much success using round up on woody plants.on stumps or brush that I clear i've switched to Tordon RTU to treat the stumps i need to kill.It comes in a quart bottle and you don't dilute it.it has a nozzle like you would find on dish liquid and you squirt or dribble it on the stump.I'm planning on trying it in areas where i want to kill saplings in my beds this fall.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Who's Online

We have 456 guests and no members online

Login