* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
misc roots and herbs
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ramps wisdom.

Ramps wisdom. 10 years 2 months ago #26889

I've been thinking about planting some ramps this year. Anybody have any words of wisdom about planting bulbs or seed (I've heard seed is very hit-or-miss with germination but probably less expensive and easier). I think that January is the time of year for planting the bulbs. Also, is it better to space them out (kinda like ginseng), or better to grow them in one giant patch so that they can reproduce over time? It looks like ramps are becoming a 'fad' in high end restaurants and may end up quit scarce in the wild, so I would like to grow some just for my family's own use rather than for selling. I've got a good area on a wooded east-facing slope that has a very small wet-weather spring (but always seems to stay damp with lots of ferns, moss, etc) that I hope will be a good spot for them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ramps wisdom. 10 years 2 months ago #26976

max i dont know about planting ramps by seed but ive had some success in transplanting them...best can tell is about a 60 percent survival rate on transplants....i keep some back from my digging/selling season to plant every year and i keep them in patches yet spaced pretty good to allow for some spreading and filling in...ive noticed they spread slow at first and pick up momentum over a few years and i have some patches filling in nicely ( I plant them in spring when im digging to sell)...as for them being a fad i dunno...i think dumb rich folks will always wanna eat stuff that taste like ...
Attachments:

Re:Ramps wisdom. 10 years 2 months ago #27015

Thanks for the information Papa, looks like you have a good looking patch there.

Re:Ramps wisdom. 10 years 2 months ago #27290

Deleted.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 544 guests and no members online

Login