2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: leaf cuttings

leaf cuttings 9 years 10 months ago #28677

I read on the internet somewhere, that you can start blood root plants from leaf cuttings. Does anyone know if this is true and how it's done if it is?

Thanks,

mhowa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:leaf cuttings 9 years 9 months ago #28686

A knowledgable digger told me last fall blood root will sprout back by digging the root, cutting it into pieces and replanting the pieces. He said every piece that is planted will regenerate and continue to grow.

Re:leaf cuttings 9 years 9 months ago #28687

I agree with vabuyer, i cut up some and put it in a pot and it all came up. This year i went out and picked about 1000 seed pods and shelled them and scattered the seed in a new location just to see how that works. should know in a year or so. I have no information on the leaf cuttings.

Re:leaf cuttings 9 years 9 months ago #28688

Thanks for the replies. I knew the root could be split up and replanted. Just thought the leaf cutting was interesting and was wondering if it really works.

mhowa

Re:leaf cuttings 9 years 9 months ago #28701

K-Duce, I do the same thing with Bloodroot seeds. I gather the seed pod when the small little seed inside is crimson red, I know they are ripe and I plant them.

Broadcasting them does not work from my experience. Bloodroot seeds need to be planted a 3/4 to 1 inch below the soil surface.

If I understand correctly, bloodroot seeds have either a sweet smell or a sweet taste and ants take the seeds below the soil surface and store them. Then the seeds that are not eaten sprout new bloodroot plants. Interesting how mother nature works.

K_Duce, do you do the same or have another way of getting them to germinate? Interested in hearing about it if you do. I do know this for sure, Bloodroot and goldenseal seed are hard to get to germinate compared to planting root stock. I mean you can get great results in dividing bloodroot roots into small pieces and new plants come up very easily.

mhowa, I know what you mean on leaf cuttings. I have seen it done on youtube for other plants. Not sure if it has been done on bloodroot. I bet it could be done tho.

Latt

Re:leaf cuttings 9 years 9 months ago #28703

Latt,
This was my first year broadcasting bloodroot seed. but i am having good results with the goldenseal seed using rake and scatter. I think the best location to start goldenseal is by planting in areas where there are thin layers of leaf litter. As for the ants and bloodroot i dont think that it is a rule that the ant has to bury the seed, i think the seed can make it into the ground very well without the ant. Oh while we are on the subject of goldenseal i wanted to let you know that i checked some patches yesterday and a couple of the seed heads are starting to turn reddish, I am trying very hard to beat the turkeys to the seed this year. As far as what i do with the goldenseal seed, i just go ahead and de-pulp them the same day, i don't let them ferment, i just keep squeezing the berrys and changing the water until they are all clean then i put them in a container or plastic bag mixed with moist sand put a few moist paper towels on top and put them in the fridge until i get an area worked up for planting in the late summer.
Attachments:

Re:leaf cuttings 9 years 2 months ago #34316

I know I have blood root growing all over moved some close to hose to stop snails.Is there a market for it?Yes it grows back and you can dig but when planting how deep seems to be big thing maybe a !/4
inc.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds

Who's Online

We have 292 guests and no members online

Login