2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mushroom Farming?

Mushroom Farming? 8 years 11 months ago #35392

Hey all,I've been thinking of trying to do some mushroom farming.I have a ridge with several good Oaks and a ridge with popular and a area with some white pine .I was thinking of using the oaks for Mai take, the popular for oysters,maybe the pine for res hi. Does anyone have any advice or any experience with this. I have found a maitake and a few oysters growing wild close to the property so I know its possible for them to grow. How dependable do you think the crop would be?Would they be nothing some years and lots other year or maybe a few every year?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Mushroom Farming? 8 years 11 months ago #35394

I'm just venturing into the mushroom thing myself. Here is one book that helped to answer some questions for me... it has some other stuff in there also.

http://www.amazon.com/Farming-Woods-Integrated-Permaculture-Medicinals/dp/1603585079/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431695241&sr=8-1&keywords=farming+the+woods

Aside from that, there are some very good videos on Youtube (and some not at all good) that you can pick up subtle hints from.

Re:Mushroom Farming? 8 years 11 months ago #35399

Interesting. I just came across the back recently. Seems pretty good.

Re:Mushroom Farming? 8 years 10 months ago #35759

Maitake are harder to grow very seldom have I got them to grow on cut logs... But also I harvest about 300 lbs every fall from nearby woods after a oak falls they will still grow for a few more years in that spot. reishi I usually harvest enough for tea for a year but there's a great market in the Asian community or Asian markets! I'm married to a (Korean) :) although shiitake a cousin to the maiitake is pretty easy to grow they taste great are are a very good market mushroom. The problem with maitake is they will spread in your woods and slowly kill the oak trees they feed off living trees and choke them out.i have been growing shiitake for a while now and with great success. I'm opening up another 500 logs this fall if you like check out youtube for farming good videos on there and here's a site to buy spores / etc..

www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/shi...prox-1000-plugs.html

Start out with the wood dowels first.. try pin oak, black oak,ash any hardwood really and white oak is the best but if you harvest timber you don't want to cut your white oak that's your money maker! and do some poplar also the oak will last longer but take longer for the spores to spread. If you inoculate the poplar logs this fall you can get some mushrooms next spring.

Once you get the hang of it go to sawdust spawn works faster in logs have fun!!

Re:Mushroom Farming? 8 years 10 months ago #35760

Thanks to everyone for the comments.Its something I have great interest in I may give it a shot on a small scale I Have some red oak that I can not access for timber without destroying the surrounding area.Their leaves scald out my ginseng so I had thought about cutting them for timber.I will probably inoculate about 20 of them and let the lord decide what to do.I counted 40 so Guess I could split the difference.I would like to find spawn that is from this area.As I have learned from ginseng,better luck with seed closer to my area.

Re:Mushroom Farming? 8 years 10 months ago #35761

I would not worry about local spawn they will grow slightly different color size depending on moisture,sunlight, type of wood. That I know there are 3 variety 2 are Chinese and one is a Japanese there all great and good luck on ur new venture

• Page:
Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 542 guests and no members online

Login