2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Morels in Mid March PA

Morels in Mid March PA 12 years 4 weeks ago #17105

The Pa boys are picking black morels in Mid March. 20 years of moreling and never picked a morel in March in PA. Never say Never!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 12 years 4 weeks ago #17108

They are not far off here in central Ohio. A few are claiming to be finding some blacks here and there close by. I went to my two hot spots this evening right after work and nothing yet. It looks close thou. I will be out this weekend for sure.
Latt

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 12 years 4 weeks ago #17110

Hey guys, cameras broke, but found 7 today here in Missouri.

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 12 years 3 weeks ago #17116

This evening it seemed to turn off cooler than most evenings this week. Like a small cool front came thru.

That might turn the small mouth off a bit, so now I am leaning towards looking again tomorrow morning for morels again.

I think I know what my problem is - I have not fully committed yet.

Last year I bought a pound of real butter to cook morels in, and just after I did that I found one.

Gotta make a trip to walmart tomorrow to get me some butter - perhaps that will turn my luck around :-)

It did warm up even more this week - almost too hot a few times, but then yesterday we had some rain. Tomorrow morning surly there will be some up around here somewhere.

Think I will check that poplar stand again where I found that one last year.

TNhunter

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 12 years 3 weeks ago #17120

Good luck TN there is no doubt they are up at this point. Good luck on finding that new spot.

I have walked many many MANY miles only to come home empty handed over the years. However, the more miles you walk the better chance you have of finding that new spot. If you think about it most of us that have hunted for years have our proven old spots that we have accumulated over the years. So we basically build a mushroom route consisting of spots found over the years. It takes a lot of work to build this route.

We spend most of our time checking these spots and surrounding areas. Now and then we attempt to find new spots to add to our list of proven spots. It is always fun to hunt a new spot or woods but I must admit I typically find myself being drawn to one of my spots that has produced morels in the past. I have put in the miles to find these spots over the years.

Black spots are the same way. Many are able to find the early black morels while others are not. This is because these early black spots tend to produce year after year. So going to an old spot already proven is how many find blacks early. I am not saying that people do not find black morels while searching a new woods but it is much more difficult.

If you are fortunate enough to find a new black spot and you find a couple and are ready to move on, take my advice. Take a knee and look around in a circle 20 feet around from the center of the mushroom you just found. If there are not at least a dozen more that were not seen I would be surprised.

This holds true more often or not. It is somewhat humerus at times.

So mushroom hunting can take miles and miles of unsuccessful mushroom hunting year after year. But eventually you will find new spots each year and eventually have a mushroom route built in your head. I have over 30 different woods I hunt on my mushroom route and each one of these woods has multiple hot spots for finding morels.So each of the woods may contain a mini morel mushroom route. I do not write it down, I just keep the map in my head but there is nothing wrong of writing it down or using a GPS for marking the spots.

Good luck,
Latt

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 12 years 3 weeks ago #17127

Found about a dozed today south facing rock outcrop.

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 12 years 3 weeks ago #17129

Here's a little guy.

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 12 years 3 weeks ago #17136

trahn...

Nice up-close picture and wow they are both bueatiful shrooms !

TNhunter

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 11 years 11 months ago #17325

The weather in Eastern PA wasn't good for morel growth no rain, low RH and high winds. Did find a good amount of black morels and pick some yellows in the last week but way below my average. Had a nice shot of rain local so I'll be out and about look for the last of them. Good Luck All!!

Re:Morels in Mid March PA 11 years 11 months ago #17341

Hit my spots last Monday. Found one yellow. Normally, this would be the time they would be comming on strong....greys and doggies all over the place. stuff happens I guess.

• Page:
Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 353 guests and no members online

Login