2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your questions and answers about Goldenseal herb
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looks like this site needed a seal post...

Looks like this site needed a seal post... 13 years 10 months ago #3576

Been digging seal for 6 weeks or so now as much as humanly possible. Goal for fall haul 200 lbs dry seal, 400 dry lbs black cohosh, 3-4 lbs seng, and 100 lbs dry bloodroot. Gotta good start on the seal. I'll also have some mayapple and wild yams but I only dig those to break up the monotony of digging the other roots or if it's right in front of me I'll throw them in with whatever it is I'm diggin. Right now best price i can find in southern ohio is 18 on seal, 6 on bloodroot, 2.85 on b cohosh, 2.50 on mayapple, and 2.50 on yams. I used to sell wet but can't anymore so workload has kinda doubled on the roots for me this year, washing and drying roots its very monotonous. if your going to do roots on a large scale its best to invest in a good old wringer washer after they slosh around in there for a while all you have to do is pull the roots out and strip out all foreign roots.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Looks like this site needed a seal post... 13 years 10 months ago #3602

Thats a lot of diggin.

Re:Looks like this site needed a seal post... 13 years 9 months ago #3744

Hey anybody know what the price on yellow root is in pike county ky

Re:Looks like this site needed a seal post... 13 years 9 months ago #3749

Maybe it's just me, and maybe someone can help me out on this.... when you guys talk about digging yellow root (golden seal) i have always found that it is very labor intensive and hard to dig. I am fairly young and in pretty good shape and I can only dig, at most, 2-4 pounds an hour (depending on the soil)Golden seal goes for about $3 a pound here and it is hard to make it worth your while. So is there some technique you guys are using that increases the yeild?

Re:Looks like this site needed a seal post... 13 years 9 months ago #3774

jchrisfos if you can dig 2-4lbs wet an hr. I think your doing fine.probably around 1 dry lb an hour. May not be the best money in the world but look at it this way,your out in the woods enjoying quiet time with nature and getting away from it all.Hopefully yellow root prices will make it back up some soon.maybe get up to 30 for a dry lb even if its only 24 thats not bad money for diggin some root.I always break tops and knock most of the dirt off in the woods so all I have to do at home is wash the root.When I am out diggin seng I sometimes stop and dig alittle yellow root too. If you can find a patch in good black sandy soil youv'e got easy diggin,comes up in wads.just make sure you leave alot of smaller plants to let the patchs come back. It all adds up!

Re:Looks like this site needed a seal post... 13 years 9 months ago #3775

Papa nice lookin plants in that picture.Lots of big ones there, good luck on your diggin.

Re:Looks like this site needed a seal post... 13 years 9 months ago #3776

Huntndig, thanks for the reply. I think the price is up to $4 a wet pound now. so if i dig 3 pounds an hour it would add up to about $12 an hour for being out in the woods. and you're right that's not bad. if it grew year round i'd quit my job. thanks again.

• Page:
Moderators: jimsanger
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Who's Online

We have 410 guests and no members online

Login