* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your questions and answers about Goldenseal herb
  • Page:

TOPIC: In need of seed stock plants

In need of seed stock plants 12 years 8 months ago #10880

Hello, I had a long indepth thread about what I had and planned on doing but, when I went to post it I had timed out and lost all my long drawn out rambling. In essences saving every the torcher of reading it. Anyways, I am in need of Goldenseal rootlets enough to make up around 1/2 lb to plant in my seed bed. I want to use these as my foundation stock so that I can stratisfy the seed (and split rhizones at a later date) and replant them in the wild in areas where it stands a better chance at not being found and getting root hold and spreading so that my children and their children can harvest it. I can not find ANY goldenseal around my area so I am need of help from other woodsmen. I would rather pay a fellow outdoorsman anyways compared to a large operation.

I will pay a fair price for the plants and all shipping. If anyone can help me out please contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you for your time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 8 months ago #10961

Hunter, I would be happy to help you out. There are many wild patches around my parts. I think it would be best to wait till later in the fall when the tops start dying back and next years growth bud is fully formed before digging them up. I could dig that amount up fairly quickly while out senging this fall (Sept.). I'd be willing to get you some to start a patch without charging an arm and a leg for it. If you are still interested send me an e-mail. My address is listed on my profile.

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 8 months ago #10970

5prong,
How are the goldenseal berries looking on your wild plants over there? Those goldenseal berries are worth picking.
Latt

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 8 months ago #10974

Latt, Most of the berries around here have already dropped. I've read in several places that they don't start to ripen until July, but around here they usually start in mid June. Just like ginseng, they don't all ripen at the exact same time, and I'm sure that there are still quite a few on the plants around here. I'm blessed with what most of you would consider huge patches of goldenseal.

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 7 months ago #11145

5 prong. Sorry that is has taken me so long to respond. We have been having computer problems but, hopefully that is resolved. Yes, that would be great and just let me know when your ready and how much you would like to get out of them. Thank you for your time.

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 7 months ago #11195

Hunter,
Are you interested in Goldenseal Seed?
I have a good bit avail.
Latt

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 7 months ago #11199

Latt, I would gladly take some seed. I know nothing about them other than they are done similar to sang. Is that correct? How much would you need for some seed?

Thanks

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 7 months ago #11202

Hunter,
I have 112 grams or exactly 4 oz of fresh goldenseal seed available. This is equal to 5,600 seeds.
In the paragraph below called }Pricing Cut and Pasted\" you will see where 100 grams of fresh goldenseal seed sells at approximately $340. Another supplier sells packets of 50 seeds for $9.95. So at that rate 5,600 seeds divided by 50 seeds per packet would be 112 packets of 50 seeds with a value of $9.95 per packet of 50. 112 packets x $9.95 is = to $1,114.40. So you can see the seeds are quite valuable depending even if you by them in bulk and or in packets.
I am not expecting you to pay $1,112.40 or even $340 for my 112 grams or 4 oz containing 5,600 seeds. Just let me know what they are worth to you and make me an offer at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I would plant them myself but I planted over a lb last year. Some say planting seed is equal to planting divided root stock explanation as follows. Root stock that is divided spends a lot of energy to produce the plant top and the root does not grow as quickly. So in essence if goldenseal seed is planted correctly it will catch up with divided rootstock in 4 to 6 years and you will have the same size root. It is much easier to sow seeds too verses dividing rootstock and planting them one at a time. Plus buying the rootstock is much more expensive verses buying seed for the quantity of plants that you will get. See below for the Pricing info that I cut and pasted from another source.

Pricing Cut and Pasted from a seed source.
\"If one chooses to establish goldenseal from seed, then a different set of cost assumptions apply. Plantings from seed will require at least 5 years of growth to yield a marketable root. If one chooses to start from seed, two seeds per square foot might be planted for a requirement of 800 seeds per bed (2 seeds by 400 square feet). This assumes an average germination rate of 45 percent (0 to 90 percent has been observed) so that approximately one out of every two seeds might be expected to germinate and become established. Eight-hundred seeds per bed multiplied by nine beds suggest a total requirement of 7,200 seeds for a 1/10-acre plot. One-hundred grams of seed (1 pound = 454 grams) of goldenseal seed contains an average of 5,000 seeds and costs approximately $340. One-hundred fifty grams (~ 7,500 seeds) at a cost of $510 would be needed to adequately plant all nine beds at a rate of two seeds per square foot. \"

I want these seeds to go to a good home and if planted carefully like ginseng seed they should grow nicely.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 7 months ago #11216

Latt, At the number of seed per oz and the small size of my current seed stock beds I don't believe that I would have the room for a lot. Would it be ok with you if I started out with 1 oz this year? I have plans on expanding my beds but, first we have to log out the downed trees from the tornadoes we had here and then find areas with the proper sun/shade and fence them off since the cattle have free rein of ALL our land around here. LOL!!

Re:In need of seed stock plants 12 years 7 months ago #11217

Hunter,
That would be just fine.
Thanks,
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: jimsanger
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 661 guests and no members online