2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finally Spring in Maine!

Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9594

I know for most of you, woodland plants have been growing for well over a month now. For Maine, the wild plants just started popping out within the last few days. Here's a bit of what I found yesterday.

I expect to see some older seng emergence within a week. I hope!

Wildflower
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9595

A fern.
Attachments:

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9596

Trillium, not fully opened up.
Attachments:

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9601

Yep - Classicfur - I was seeing signs like that back around the first week of March down here in TN.

We now have near full leaf cover here and the woods are nicely shaded again.

It's nice but then again down here it comes with ticks and chiggars too.

I actually started prep'n the kids pool for the season yesterday. We will be swimming here in another couple weeks.

Right now we are in our last winter (blackberry winter) and it was a very mild one no frost. We have not actually had a frost here at my house since back Mid Febuary.

I have been eating onions, lettuce and just this week started on sugar snap peas from the garden. I have my sweet corn, squash, cukes planted already and will be putting in tomatoes and melons here in the next week.

Your Spring is finally showing up and my Summer is comming on...

I would sure trade you a month or two of summer for some of your spring/fall.

Hope you see some seng up soon !

TNhunter

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9603

TNhunter

I was just thinking the other day. \"I bet TN is already eating snap peas and other goodies from his garden. I envy the fact that your able to start your garden so early!

I love being able to grow plants from seeds outdoors. But our season comes so late. I still need to wait another two weeks to plant snap peas. I'm looking forward to that!

You mentioned ticks and chiggers. We have ticks, but their not too bad. The worst we have is the \"Black Fly Season\". It's a little dinky fly that bites and draws blood, then causes you too itch your skin raw. They stick around for about four weeks starting around Mothers Day. They have T-shirts for tourists, that read \" I Survived The Black Fly Season In Maine\". If someone visits Maine for the first time during Black Fly season, they usually never want to come back. They are BAD! But they do pass eventually.

Enjoy your veggies!

classicfur

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9610

Hey Classicfur,

Those black flies sound bad but at least they only last a month or so.

Around here from April thru October if you go out tromping thru the woods you can get loaded down with ticks (seed ticks - the worst) little tiny ticks that come in clusters of sometimes 100's.

Chiggars are bad too but they only itch about week, a tick bite can itch for nearly a month.

My sugar snap peas are about 3' tall now and the tops are covered with blooms. Each one will soon be a sugar sweet pea pod.

Yum !

Here is a pic of what they look like out there now. I have them climbing on some old tomato cages.

PS - I planted sweet corn last saturday and checked today and found a few breaking thru the soil. Our ground has warmed up nicely for sweet corn to come up that quick.

I currently have green onions, leaf lettuce, sugar snap peas, pod peas, yellow crookneck squash, green squash, burpless cuke's, cantelop, watermelons, sweet corn planted.

I will put my tomatoes out in the garden next week. They are ready - just did not have time to get them in today.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9614

TNhunter

That's Sweet! Nice healthy snap peas. I love the beautiful green trees in the back ground. Our trees are still pretty much bare. I think one more week in the 60s will bring on some green leaves. Your soils must be warming up good to cause sweet corn to germinate that quick.

Thanks for sharing!

classicfur

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9762

Classicfur,
I saw the \"How the States Were Formed\" show with Brian Unger. They talked about how great the water quality is in Maine. A small panel of testers ranked Maine water the best in a blind taste test. They said it had to do with the way the water filters through the soil and the excellent soil conditions.
Latt

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9763

Latt

Hmmm.

I've never heard that before. But our water is the best I've ever tasted out of all the places I have lived.

I think they have it right!

classicfur

Re:Finally Spring in Maine! 12 years 11 months ago #9772

Here in Canada the ginseng isn't up but the first blood filled tick was massaged off the dog today.I'll hold the pictures.

Guy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 220 guests and no members online

Login