Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HOW OLD IS THESE WILD GINSENG?

HOW OLD IS THESE WILD GINSENG? 12 years 11 months ago #9570

• Cinghe
  • Cinghe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hello, can you guys help me to figured out, how old is these ginseng life?
the lifeline has been cut by the farmers
THANKS GUYS
img863.imageshack.us/i/dsc03656p.jpg/
img219.imageshack.us/i/dsc03655x.jpg/
img833.imageshack.us/i/dsc03654k.jpg/
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:HOW OLD IS THESE WILD GINSENG? 12 years 11 months ago #9577

Cinghe,

It is hard to say for sure since the root neck has been removed but one thing is for sure those are not wild ginseng roots.

Ginseng that has been grown in cultivated soil looks like those do - long straight & slick (carrot like) roots.

Cultivated ginseng has most likely had fertilizer and fungicides applied and they can usually harvest big roots like that in 6 years or so.

My guess on those roots would be 6-8 years in age.

TNhunter

PS - below is what a wild ginseng root looks like.

Attachments:

Re:HOW OLD IS THESE WILD GINSENG? 12 years 11 months ago #9592

• Cinghe
  • Cinghe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the answer TNhunter,
i got those ginseng roots from Sumatra Island in Indonesia, Southeast Asia, Those roots found in the forest and no one seems to plant it before...
There is no one live in the forest, but the soil is very fertile, and no fertilizer being added in the soil...
The Ginseng roots recently found, and the farmers is a beginner so they don't know how to harvest the ginseng, and cut the neck...
is there any possibility that a wild ginseng can grow that big? (carrot like)
How much is the price per pound for those ginseng roots?
thanks guysss

Re:HOW OLD IS THESE WILD GINSENG? 12 years 11 months ago #9602

Cinghe,

If they are wild but are growing in extremely rich and loose soil I expect they could turn out looking like cultivated seng and they could grow quite large in 6-8 years.

Also what we find here in the US growing wild in the woods is North American (US & Canada) Panax quinquefolius.

What you have there is likely (Asian, Korean, Chinese) Panax ginseng which just could be quite different from what we find growing around here.

One thing that is for sure those seng roots do not have a \"stressed\" look to them. They look like they were grown in cultivated soil conditions, carrot like, and the roots are missing the stress rings that make our wild seng more valuable to buyers.

Here is a pic that shows some wild american seng on the left and cultivated on the right.

You can see the stress rings that circle around the wild roots on the left where the cultivated roots are more slick, straight.

Cultivated roots will also be much heaver (denser) than wild roots.

Good Luck with what you have there.

TNhunter

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 181 guests and no members online

Login