2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Snake boots are chaps

Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4285

Need some help with buying some boots are chaps need something not to hot... boots that i have seen they have poor gripping for
climbing Mt.. i found a good place near Ky state line but the rattle snakes and copper heads are real bad.. that's prob why it's loaded with ginseng...then if u get bit good luck getting help.. u might find some in about 3 hrs if u can make it..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4287

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
RedDog I have worn both boots and chaps

I have chaps now and I never wear them because they burn me up especialy in hotter days before it cools down some.I would recomend the boots from my personal exspearience,but thats not to say that chaps are not good,because they are,there just to hot for me.

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4289

yeah i wron chaps one time about 2 yrs ago in mid late aug and they about killed me... (heat stroke out) might just wait untill it gets colder and the snake go back in there hole to hit that place. that was going to be my frist stop this year..So u'r from bell county Ky i'm not to far from u.. right down 75 are 25w.. i live next to Norris Dam (1 mile).. is it hard to find a place up there to ginseng that hasnt been strip mined out are just raped by people digging it all out..

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4290

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
I am familar wit the area of Norrois lake where the 33 bridge and marina is.So you are not to far from Knoxville either.There is some decent seng area around Knoxville ive been told by an old friend who lives in that area.

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4291

yeah 3 yrs ago when ginseng went up to 1,000 lb me and a buddy of mine dug 22 dry lb right outside knoxville (strawberry plains) beteewn Knoxville and sevierville... in a place that that was
about 3 miles long 1 mile wide found it in places were most people would not look. down on the flat land below mt.. around old pine trees that the bettles took out a few yrs ago.. down inside old sugar cane patches.. might had to get down on all 4's but it was everywere.. never see a place like that i'm giving prob 2 more years so its got about 5 years to come back. then we are getting back in there to see how it looks after 5 years....

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4292

You might try something like this..

www.benmeadows.com/Plastic-Snake-Legging...roof-Chaps_31226527/

Between High School and College I worked for a Timber Company for a couple of years - After they had logged an area (harvested all marketable hardwoods) we killed the rest of what was left during the summer months, then burned it in the fall, then in winter we planted back pine trees.

In the summer months they provided us with leggins similar to the ones in that link except they were heavier and had a zipper in back.

I had several copper heads and rattle snakes pop that leggin during the 2 summers I worked there but it stopped them cold - and soon after they were dead :-)

I did see one guy get bit by a large copperhead and it hit him below the leggin in the boot area and the boots he had on were sort of thin/leather and with only one pair of socks on the copper head did get one fang into his foot.

We used to kill 10-15 copper heads and 1-3 rattle snakes a week during the summer months (at that job). Rattle snake is decent to eat - taste a lot like frog leggs.

TNhunter

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4295

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
RedDog I am familar with that area also Ive done work in the surounding area near the plains exit.Im a Roofing Contractor I have roofed around 50 houses in Knoxville in the past two years,,that has taking me around the area alot,thank goodness for my G.P.S. I have a very good friend from the Newport Tn area me and him seng a couple times a year together in that area we have two good hollers that we have planted alot of wild seng berrys in and have saw very good results,the seng loves the forest floor there.

Work has been good this year and I may not get to seng as I like to,but I will still get to go on the weekends and rainy days.I truly love the Mountians in a few years I plan to plant alot of Seng for the boys Lord willing,Untill then I enjoy walking them step hills and hollers just looking for them old 4`s I am seiously ready to go just a few more days 15 to be exact :)

Tnhunter I love frog legs prepared rite and ive always herd rattlesnake was good to eat.

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4298

Yeah i don't know about Snake legs...HaHA don't think i could eat em..walking the dog yesterday seen a nice big copper head right below dam on the Clinch river. 2 kids playing with it they didn't know what kind of snake it was. Told em that was prob not the snake to play with he will put hurting on ya. but u know how kids are had to poke and play with more. that snake prob 3 to 3 1/2 ft long and for around here that was a good size copper head. i live in the state park of norris we have a big dear population here i belive they keep the snakes population down also they keep gingseng down too..Are it's people coming in here in digging it...i have seen very little ginseng here and for a place that been here untouch for 75 yrs it should be loaded...

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4299

I did some more looking around this morning for a snake boot solution and found a pair at sportsmansguide that looks good and is reasonably priced at 79.97. Several user reviews at 5 Stars too.

I have a older pair of boots I wear that are 16\" tall but they are fairly heavy. Often when I hunt ginseng in them for 4-5 hours I have leg & toe cramps for a few hours afterwards.

I noticed this pair at sportsmansguide is 18\" tall, water proof, seems to have decent traction/tread, and they are fairly light 30 oz which is 1.875 lbs per boot. Some of the user reviews mention how comfortable they are too.

I may have to get me a pair of those and try em out.

Link and Details below:

TNhunter

==

www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=552572

If you've been trying to choose among waterproof protection, snake-shield security, side-zip convenience and camo concealment, now you don't have to!

Get it all in new Guide Gear? Cottonmouth II Boots!

Feature-packed:

Breathable, waterproof suede leather / 1,000-denier nylon uppers
Deep-tread rubber outsole
Shock-absorbing EVA midsole
Snake-guard backing for bite-proof security
Easy-entry side-zip with hook-and-loop flap closure
Padded shin, heel and calf for added comfort
Dual pull-on loops
Moisture-wicking mesh lining. Each approx. 18\"h., 30 ozs

** Added Later:

I got my old 16\" boots out and weighed them - 5.6 lbs for the pair.

The sportsmansguide boots would be 60 oz or 3.75 lb for the pair and they are 2\" taller.

Re:Snake boots are chaps 13 years 7 months ago #4301

yeah now i might get sportsmansguide 18in see on the mt if a snake above ya on the hill he can hit you above your knee.. just aslong as i can still move around in the woods with em with killing myself brking leg are something..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Who's Online

We have 470 guests and no members online

Login