2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: going Fast

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40443

This was a nice group of 4's that I ran into yesterday. Man they're dying fast around here.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40444

jimsanger wrote: . Man they're dying fast around here.

....same here Jim....its getting close to the point that IF I got rain I don't think it will make much difference now.....

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40446

Whereabouts in WV are you located jimsanger? I was born and raised in Fayette county. I come back to dig some ginseng with my uncle each year. This may be the last as he has a degenerating muscle disorder. I am coming in on the 16th through the 30th. I'm hoping that this would be a good year. I used to be on the forum as CarlM. However with the updating of the website, I had to set up a new account.

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40447

I agree, I'm in southern Indiana and I was shocked by how many yellow plants I was digging in the first weekend out. Crazy! Maybe this will help with the prices since the season won't be to long.

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40448

Iam 50 miles west of Terre Haute in ILL.i was finding yellow and down plants the first weekend here also....

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40449

Im in the southern part of the state. Sorry to hear about your uncle. I lost an aunt a year ago to ALS. Chief I'm afraid that around here the sang is so far gone that no amount of rain is going to help. I'm sticking to what I wrote earlier that it wont be long that the sang in these parts will be covered by leaves.

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40451

jimsanger wrote: I'm afraid that around here the sang is so far gone that no amount of rain is going to help. I'm sticking to what I wrote earlier that it wont be long that the sang in these parts will be covered by leaves.

..I agree Jim...I got off work late iam going to take a late evening hunt...most times iam excited to get in the woods.. today I know what iam going to see..

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40455

I guess all we can do Chief is to keep walking and poking around through the weeds looking for a few plants here and there. I do think however that the roots in the ground are pretty much drained of a lot of nutrients and whatever water that they were holding. We may be really close to that 3 to 1 wet to dry ratio? You know when that happens it only takes finding a few nice seams of sang to build up some dry pounds. Very early in the season for that to happen but it may be.

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40456

That's strange. I was nervous after reading what some of the guys were posting on here so I talked to my uncle last night and asked what he thought the season would be like and he figures about normal. Last year the first few days we went, we thought for sure the season was going to be shot. Dry and nothing we were finding. But we changed location and found a spot that was just as wet and green. Did pretty good. And it was only a few hollers over from where we were. I usually go in the first 2 weeks of the season, but this year I made myself wait. I always get the urge to be in the woods when season opens. My Grandpa always said that the best time to dig seng is the last week of September until the end of the season. By then the weeds are down and it's starting to turn yellow. You can let your eyes do your walking. You will dig more guaranteed. That's for where I come from. Obviously different states, the season will be different according to climate.

going Fast 6 years 6 months ago #40459

I didn't get go yesterday evening.grandsons came over..i am going to try it today..still no rain in the forecast for another week...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 392 guests and no members online

Login