2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Impact of wild fires on the Ginseng

Impact of wild fires on the Ginseng 7 years 3 months ago #39641

I was wondering what the wildfires impact will be on the ginseng. Wildfires this intense are rare for the eastern US. Hope the roots themselves will be protected because they are underground.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Impact of wild fires on the Ginseng 7 years 3 months ago #39642

I would think the ginseng would be fine... since the root neck and next years bud spur are usually a inch or two (sometimes more) underneath the ground.

I have seen bud spurs in the past that were higher than usual and some of those may have suffered bud spur damage but a ginseng root (even if the bud spur is destroyed, eaten, burned severely) as long as the main root is Ok it will eventually develop another bud spur and send up a top. It might not happen by next spring, but should the spring after that.

Ginseng is a survivor... and even though in our lifetime we may not have seen wild fires quite like that... I am sure they have happened in the past couple thousand years a few times and the Seng survived those too.

On the positive side...

All of that ash... will sweeten the soil (temporarily, perhaps for a year or few)... raising the PH some. That usually leads to lush growth, the next spring. It should be Extra Green next spring.

And if you hunt Morels, I hear that burns are really good for morel hunting.

Prayers for all those affected by this in such a bad way, loss of property or even life. God Bless Them all.

TNHunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 464 guests and no members online

Login